PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Loon

Bob Malbon
09-13-2009, 08:53 AM
http://www.bobmalbonphoto.com/img/v0/p110789308-4.jpg

From Labor Day in Canoe on Green River Res. in Hyde Park, VT - 1Dmk3 on 70-200 f2.8 IS w/ 2X tele at iso400, f8, 1/400 Manual Exp. Hand held - had the dog on board so left the 500 home! Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Axel Hildebrandt
09-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I like the angle, eye contact, colors and blue around the bird. I might crop a bit off the bottom.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Bob,
Love the colours on this one - beautiful bird! Agree that I might take a touch off the bottom. Your dog must be very well-behaved!!!
Best,
Nicki

Matthew Studebaker
09-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree with Axel's assessment. Nice detail in the blacks and good exposure control all around.

Randy Stout
09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Bob:

Nice job on the exposure here. Looks like you are getting some fall color coming up. Nice to see that he hasn't started to lose the summer plumage, as ours have already started to molt here in Michigan.

Although the sun angle was off to the left, I like the modeling effect on the back of the head from the shadows.

I agree with Axel about a small crop up from the bottom.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Stu Bowie
09-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Amazing colours and detail Bob, and overall, nice and sharp. I like this.

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I like the blue outlines of the wake. I also like the fall colours in the water. I was at my folks cottage yesterday and looking at a loon through binoculars I could see half the face already in molt! Although thisloon is glancing back at you I still wish the head was turned even more - just a few degrees more would have been great. For web I would also darken the pupil to make more evident. Good job on the exposure.

Randy Stout
09-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Daniel:

The pupil of course is constricted by the direct sunlight, hence small and indistinct. If you make it much bigger and blacker it might look unnatural. A fine line between enhancing the image and looking artificial.

Randy

Gal Shon
09-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Lovely colors and excellent exposure,
I might consider open the frame a little bit (top and left).

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2009, 03:21 PM
He Randy,

Yes I understand that part about the pupil being constricted due to direct light...I didn't mean making it bigger, but blacker (and this is just for web presentation as I am sure the full-size version looks great in that regard). Here all I've done is used the burn tool at about 30% opacity (set to midtones) on the darkest area of the pupil (not too many pixels on this small web version!). As a result it does make it seem bigger yes, but not un-natural IMO. I agree with you that it is a fine line though and one must be careful not to overdo it:)

Randy Stout
09-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Daniel:

Nice job, tastefully done.

Randy

David Fletcher
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Lovely shot with lovely colors. Think Daniel's repost enhances further!