PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Grey Heron

Stu Bowie
09-13-2009, 07:41 AM
This is one of those images whilst concentrating on the main subject, and after downloading, you have captured innocent spectators. Although a bit tight on the right, I decided to leave the egret in, to balance the comp. Taken at the University grounds of Pretoria this morning.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/640
F/6.3
ISO 800

Exp Comp +0.67
Hand Held

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Stuart, nice sharp, head-on capture of this bird, and good light and exposure on those wings too. Although I enjoy the aloof demeanor of the cattle egret, I wish it wasn't there in this photo, seems to get more attention than the heron. The bg takes away from the heron as well. I'm thinking a tighter crop and just getting rid of the egret would give the heron its due.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-13-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the idea and light. I think it would work even better if the egret would look at the heron. The highlights look a bit bright on my monitor, I might tone them down.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Stuart,
I agree that the cattle egret might work better if it were looking at the heron, but I like that this shows the reality of multi-bird living arrangements!
Best,
Nicki

Mark Dumbleton
09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I like the idea here Stu! Agree on wishing the Egret was looking at the Heron.
Super pose in super light! Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't mind the egret not looking directly at the heron, but think it should be toned down if the whites are not fully blown - if they are then yes it cold be cropped out (besides, as is I find it rather close to the edge anyhow). Still neat to see more than one species in a single frame, and I agree it adds to what one might expect in that particular location of yours. Love the pose on the heron, and some of the highlights on it could be toned down too - especially the thighs.

Bryan Hix
09-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Whites already mentioned. I think my favorite part is the egret watching the landing.

Chris Kotze
09-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Super incoming pose, light and colours. I don't mind the Egret in the shot.

Stu Bowie
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the positive input, feedback and comments guys and girls.