PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Bomber (copied to OOTB)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Good Morning Everyone! :)
Greetings from a very autumnal morning in the UK!
Here is another image from my recent hugely enjoyable visit to Nickerson with Artie and Co. I was experimenting with various shutter speeds as the evening was drawing in and the birds were getting restless. This is one of a skimmer that was spared the delete key...:D
Canon 50D 500f/4 + 1.4 TC
ISO 800
F40 1/10th sec
Exp comp @ +2
Look forward to your thoughts!
Best regards to all,
Nicki

Randy Stout
09-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Nicki:

Very interesting. It looks almost like a paper airplane to me, two dimensional.

I might try a version where the bird is moved more towards the upper left corner, so it is flying into the frame.

I have worked on these types of images at times, and find them challenging but entertaining. Most of mine go into the bin, but sometimes you get one that really works.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Nicki, very good attempt at this effect, I do like the abstract quality of it. I agree with Randy on placing the bird more on the top left corner. I think the orange beak really gives this a boost. Did you have an oportunity to try this with several birds in the frame?

Stu Bowie
09-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Nicki, well thought out, and I like shape and curves in this. I agree with Randy by moving him back to the ULC.

Keith Bauer
09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi Nicki: Another "Nicki" image out of the box. Still trying to decide if this works for me or not. Maybe the suggestion on moving the bird to the UL. I always look forward to opening one of your images to see what surprises await!! Thx for sharing

Axel Hildebrandt
09-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Pretty cool shape, the wing position makes this very elegant. I agree regarding giving it more room to fly into on the right.

P.S.: I copied the thread to out of the box since it fits there very well, too.

Greg Basco
09-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Nicki, I love this. In my opinion the composition works well, and I really like the diagonal. If this is not full-frame then I would perhaps experiment with a crop that places the bird in the UL corner as the previous folks suggested. If this is full-frame then you would have to decide whether or not moving the bird or adding canvas adds value to the final product versus exhibiting the actual image.

I had one thought on the techs. When I looked at the tech specs I noticed f40 and ISO 800. I assume you wanted 1/10th or so for the optimum blur you desired, but I was wondering why you didn't go to say f32 and ISO 400 or even f16 and ISO 100 with more or less the same shutter speed to get the cleanest image possible. Noise probably wasn't an issue in this shot anyway but I'm curious. Perhaps things were just happening so fast that you didn't have time to consider this or perhaps you did and said who cares?!, and I would certainly understand both cases!

In any case, well done on an image that really pleases and stands out from the crowd!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello Everyone!
Thank you all so much for your comments and critiques - I really appreciate them especially as I realise that this type of image is not to everyone'e taste!
Regarding the placement of the bird in the frame: I have had a play around with the original and IMHO the bird does not work as well in the UL. The proportions do not seem quite right and somehow the negative space does not seem to work as well. Also, I like the energy and tension that comes from the bird leaving the picture. But it is always good to try different ways! BTW, this is full frame, and unfortunately I do not have one with multiple birds that I am really fond of!
Greg, I appreciate your comments on the techs. My honest answer as to why I had not considered your other suggestions for camera settings is that I am not yet proficient enough at changing them quickly. I tend to get carried away with the moment and forget that I have other options. I really need to get over this...please keep reminding me!!
Best regards to you all,
Nicki
PS Axel, thanks for putting this in OOTB as well - I shall be fascinated to see their take on this!!

Greg Basco
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Nicki, you know me; since this is full-frame, it's now a big A plus for me. Regarding the techs, it was just something I noticed but it's not a big deal. I honestly don't think the lower ISO would have made much if any difference for this image but it is something to keep in mind for other situations. With this kind of blur, since DOF isn't an issue and you have the luxury of wanting a slower shutter speed, my inclination would be to start with low ISO for best IQ.

Cheers,
Greg

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the A plus Greg!! I shall definitely try a lower ISO next time I am in this situation.
Best,
Nicki

David Fletcher
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Excellent abstract Nicki. Feel it works well. Greg has covered the ISO issue so no need next time for f40 ? :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Indeed not...:D:o...thanks David!
Best,
Nicki

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I personally think this is the best comp you could wish for here. Placing it in ULC would require lots of canvas extention to make it look balanced thus giving the resulting frame too much white space - reducing the blur's effect (IMO). I guess I'm trying to say I love it as is!! Very artistic and abstract, yet retaining just enough shape and colour to identify it as a Black Skimmer.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Daniel,
Your comment about adding all that canvas was exactly right. I tried it and it totally unbalanced the composition. Glad you enjoyed the image!
Best,
Nicki

Ramon M. Casares
09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
LOVE IT. Love it.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks so much Ramon!