PDA

View Full Version : Turning over a new leaf

Randy Stout
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
During a ramble about my back yard, found this little guy hanging out. Love those eyes

D700 Sigma 180mm f/13 1/50s ISO 1000 Flash -3.0 EV handheld

Post: NX2 crop for comp, USM, removed extra catchlight, cleaned up background

Advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Vida van der Walt
09-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Excellent shot Randy! I love the pose, detail, soft light and comp. Well done!

denise ippolito
09-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Randy, Fantastic eye! I love the texture on his skin. I like your composition and the green on green is nicely done. Maybe a bit of NR for parts of the BG.

Christopher Miller
09-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Very nice, Randy. Great detail on the frog, particularly the eye. Personally, I think removing a little on the left side and adding some room to the right would improve the composition.

Adrian David
09-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Very nice looking frog! I love the textures on the skin and the eye is gorgeous...I also like the pose of the little guy.

Julie Kenward
09-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Randy, I love the pose and the eye contact with the frog. You got some great clarity and DOF here without including much distraction from the BG. I did find the front of his face and his one foot to feel too light compared to the rest of him, though. I first lightened the darkest areas of the BG to help them blend better and to reduce some of the BG noise. Then I selected the front areas of the frog and lowered the middle slider in levels. Next, I changed the blend mode to multiply and reduced the opacity by 50%. At the end, I ran a round of noise reduction on the BG. For my taste, it evens out the image a bit more.

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I like this shot very much. The frog's positioning of the leaf is a nice touch. I also like Julie's repost, also thinking it was a bit too light.

Jerry van Dijk
09-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Randy, excellent composition from your wonderful encounter. Julie has worked wonders on those highlights.

Jerry.

Steve Maxson
09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
An excellent image, Randy. I really like the pose with the tree frog peering over the leaf from slightly above you and that the image doesn't have that obviously flashed look. I also like what Julie has done with the highlights (I always have problems with those when photographing these frogs). Now, if only the other front foot was sharp, that would take this image to yet another level. Well done.