PDA

View Full Version : Redpoll

Declan Troy
02-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Another bird in snow shot. Redpolls are so varied in plumage I hoped to get a good series but they are also erratic in their movements and it has been a bit chilly to sit around waiting on them. Here's one attempt. ISO 400, 400mm, f/13 1/250 fill flash.

Perhaps I should relax the ISO some, 1/250 doesn't allow for much movement and these guys don't sit still.

Declan

Axel Hildebrandt
02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
The details, pose and eye contact look good. You could probably get away with f/8 at 400mm. Maybe you could raise the color temperature a bit. There is a slight blue cast.

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Man, I like this one a lot. It is so, so sharp. The bright white area behind the bird is a bit problematic; pointing the lens more to the right would have improved it a bit. In the best of all world's, we would see the feet. Overall very nice image.

later and love, artie

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-11-2008, 03:49 AM
I agree with Axel and Artie!

Declan Troy
02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks all. Here is a version a bit warmed up. I am guilty of not adjusting the white balance as often as I should. Oddly enough the bluish cast is real, the sky reflecting off the snow. My redpoll flock returned yesterday and some clouds are moving in so I may get some more chances without the blue light and the brilliant back light. On the other hand it is snowing so the feet are sinking deeper into the snow.

Declan

Axel Hildebrandt
02-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I like the raised color temperature but the original version was a bit sharper, which I liked.