PDA

View Full Version : Ant-eating Chat

Eric Landsberg
09-11-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.wildlife.co.za/images/Anteating-Chat/Anteating-Chat_0907006103_EJLandsberg.jpg

Ant-eating Chat
(Myrmecocichla formicivora)
Rietvlei Nature Reserve

Camera: Nikon D3
Lens: 600mm + 1.4x
ISO: 400
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
Aperture: f/7.1

www.wildlife.co.za
info@wildlife.co.za

Colin Driscoll
09-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Nice pose with the bird calling, I presume- or maybe it was very hot? On my screen it looks like it could benefit from a bit of S/H as well as toning down the bright areas on the beak and legs. A larger image posted would also help. Nice BG toning well with the bird!

Norm Dulak
09-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Nice pose with the bird calling, I presume- or maybe it was very hot? On my screen it looks like it could benefit from a bit of S/H as well as toning down the bright areas on the beak and legs. A larger image posted would also help. Nice BG toning well with the bird!

I agree with Colin in all regards. The image has some good attributes, but the light and dark areas could be improved. I also think that images submitted for critiquing are best presented without the frame.

Norm Dulak

John Chardine
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Eric- Nice plain BG, pose and head angle. The main "killer" here is the side lighting which you could have compensated for with the use of fill flash. Agree the frame is distracting.

Nice to see a bird you have never heard of before!

Arthur Morris
09-12-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with all three or the gentlemen above. With severe sidelight the use of lots of flash is pretty much mandatory if you wish to see any detail in the shadowed areas. Nice singing pose and BKGR but overall this one does not work for me.