PDA

View Full Version : Dewdrops on a Line

Christopher Miller
09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I recently took this photo of dewdrops on a spider web, that I would like your opinions on. In retrospect, I probably should have stopped down the f-stop a bit more so that more of the drops would be in focus. Also, what do you think of the bokeh in the BG? Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f3.5 @ 1/60, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, auto WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, noise reduction, and lightened a dark area in the BG a bit

Jeff Cashdollar
09-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Chris,

Like what you are doing, IMO too many things going on. Four strands (3, OOF) and strong multi color lights in BG. Would suggest a simpler approach. Love your work, tweak it a bit or let's see what other say.

Gus Cobos
09-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Chris,
I see what you were trying to do...I like the introduction of the diagonal spider webs in frame...the lens flares in the background need to be toned down a bit and all four strings need to be in focus, also the background has to be free of any noise. For a capture such as this one, I strongly recommend on stopping down the lens, using an aperture of an f/11 on up for greater depth of field...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lance Peters
09-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi Chris - great advice from Gus - like where you were heading.
Looking forward to more :)

Gail Spitler
09-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Christopher
Really interesting - for me, this is one cool image. I tend to agree with Jeff that there may be too much going on here. On the other hand, it is fascinating as is.
I love the way you keep proving that it's the photographer and the post-processing, not the camera that creates the image.
Cheers
Gail

Alfred Forns
09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Also agree with Jeff Can crop a bit from the top and bottom .. will simplify and strengthen On top would have the drops starting left of the corner ... Also like the suggestions for stopping down as longs as it does not bring the bg into play, good idea to make several to chose from !!!

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
You got some great advise already. I would of liked to see all the strands of water drops in focus, it reminds me of guitar strings. Keep them coming:)

Harold Davis
09-12-2009, 04:46 PM
interesting comments above. i have to say, i kinda like it as presented. would be interesting to see the others suggestions implemented to choose between the two, but this aint no throw away!!!

Christopher Miller
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. You've given me some good ideas to try!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Like where you were headed on this one two Christopher. I would try some NR on the BG to make it smooth. Otherwise I like it, lens flare and all.