PDA

View Full Version : First Post-Lake Vermilion at Sunrise

E.B. West
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
This was taken with a Canon 30D w/ a Tokina 12-24.

Thanks for any comments.

http://ebinfl.smugmug.com/photos/171185734-L.jpg

Robert Amoruso
01-02-2008, 11:08 AM
E.B., welcome to BPN.

I like the composition overall but would have done one thing different. Moving left would have moved the FG rock/stump out from intersecting with the mountain.

Nice use of bright reflection in the FG to middle ground shadows to BG lit mountains to add depth to the scene and walk the viewers eyes through it. The dark look in the middle ground mountains could be opened up a bit. I find it a bit distracting. You could try a selection on that area and using a curves adjustment layer, open up the shadows some. It feel that would strengthen the composition.

Rich Ikerd
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
The scene is a really nice one with some really nice light on the mountain in the background.. I agree with Robert's suggestion about the moving left to separate the log from the mountains reflection. You might also consider making this a pano presentation to eliminate some of the sky (IMO it doesn't really add a lot of the image).

Jason Hahn
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome, nice first post. I like both Robert and Rich's suggestions, that little bit of separation would make a difference. While I like the curve of the hill on the left leading your eye through the scene, the darkness of it is very dominant in the image, it pulls my attention from the rest of the image. Cropping a little bit of it off or opening up the details on it would help minimize that a bit. I really like the light on the distant mountain, and the clarity of the reflections.

Jason

E.B. West
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks very much. It was chilly and moving left would have put me in the water, so that was out of the question:) To be honest though, I didn't see that until it was pointed out. I'll try Robert's suggestion and see how it looks.

Thanks again for the suggestions, they were helpful.

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Hello and welcome.

What a lovely image and composition you have here. The foreground is just as interesting as the background. Congrats!