PDA

View Full Version : Geographic Harbor, Katmai Predawn

Arthur Morris
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
This image was created with the Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS zoom lens at 111mm. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at 0: 1/5 sec. at f/5.6.

As he color intensified I searched for something on which to support the lens. I grabbed a large leather cushion from the bench seating and placed it on the railing around the swim deck. Voila! Any port in a storm.

I went with 0 for the EXP to prevent blowing the red channel. This is a good plan for all intense sunrises and sunsets....

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Ramesh Adkoli
09-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I like the abstract feel of this image, Artie. The silhouette of the mountains and their reflection give an impression of the stone pillars found at many temples in India. Only difference being, this pillar is laid to rest after carrying the burden for centuries. I like that impression. On technical front, I feel that the mountain edges are a bit soft and stopping down would have helped. Thanks for an opportunity to review your image. Appreciate that.

regards,
ramesh

Morkel Erasmus
09-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Artie I love the way the colour layers line up the horizontal thirds in the picture - the dark FG water, the pink reflection and pink sky which are nicely split by the silhouette and the darker sky.

I agree with Ramesh that the silhouetted mountains appear soft but it's quite easy (I've found) to slightly sharpen silhouetted images without getting artifacting.

All in all a strong composition and great moody image.

Roman Kurywczak
09-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey Artie,
Great save on scrambling to find a substitute tripod!.....but I do have to ask where the Giotto head was.....as it only weighs nothing;)......Some people feel that these images look too much like an ink blot test......I am not one of them and really like the colors and contrasting tones. The ridgeline looks sharp enough on my monitor.....but I still did have a few issues with this one....none of which were major and definitely debateable. I will post 2 reposts......one with the biggest crop....although I still consider it small and then one with a bit less...keeping most of your original vision. On both I selected the darkest part of the sky and did a screen layer mask at 60% opacity. I also added a bit of contrast to restore some pop on that layer and then added about 6 points in selective color to the midtones to the entire sky.
I prefer the crop of the darker band off the bottom (go figure!)......mostly because it takes the image away from an ink blot test........but I do also like the entire view.....so just to give you a few options. As You are fond of saying......best to leave that choice to the editor.....but this does give others a few possibilities to ponder. Welcome back and glad to see you din't forget the landscapes....especially when they have these wonderful colors!

Roman Kurywczak
09-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Here's the 2nd with much less of a crop

Arthur Morris
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the two reposts Roman and for the effort. I like the 2nd one better--no surprise there <smile> The tiny ballhead was left home and don't forget, the boat was rocking gently....

Arthur Morris
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I like the abstract feel of this image, Artie. The silhouette of the mountains and their reflection give an impression of the stone pillars found at many temples in India. Only difference being, this pillar is laid to rest after carrying the burden for centuries. I like that impression. On technical front, I feel that the mountain edges are a bit soft and stopping down would have helped. Thanks for an opportunity to review your image. Appreciate that. regards, ramesh

Hi Ramesh, Thanks for taking the time to comment. I focused on the mountain tops so stopping down would not have affected the sharpness there. In addition, I was fighting desperately for shutter speed....

And thanks a ton for the cultural info.

David Thomasson
09-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Nice execution of a very tricky shot, Art. I would take out the darker red fringe (CA?) along the rim of the reflected mountain. I used the clone tool.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3370/artpicu.gif

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Artie,

Your composition was right for this, horizon right down the middle. I can see why Roman cropped off the bottom - I like that version too but either works well for me.