PDA

View Full Version : Cool wasp

Steve Maxson
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
... or maybe I should say Cold wasp. Thought I would share this as a behavioral image. I found this Solitary Wasp (Ammophila spp) early one morning on a goldenrod stem when the temperature was only about 45 degrees F. It was completely immobile while I was taking photos. I saw that its legs were kind of dangling over the edge of the stem, but it wasn't until I downloaded the images that I noticed that it was actually tightly hanging onto the stem with its mandibles. I returned a couple hours later when temps had warmed up and the wasp was gone. These wasps dig single-celled burrows that they stock with paralyzed caterpillars and then lay an egg in the burrow. The caterpillars provide food for the developing larvae. 40D, Canon 180mm macro + 25mm ext., 1/60, f/8, ISO 400, macro twin flash, hand held, auto focus. Comments are welcome.

Roger Williams
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
With the wasp and perch all in one plane, you achieved good DOF and even lighting with the flash setup. The background is a bit busy, but natural - I might suggest darkening or cloning out the yellow in the ULC. There seems to be a blur in the catchlight. Interesting pose, using the mandible to hang on. Keep those 40 degree temps up north for a little longer, Steve!

Mike Moats
09-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Hey Steve, artisticly its a bit cluttered in the BG, but as a behavioral shot as you mention it works fine. Thes are tough shots to get a clean BG.

Julie Kenward
09-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Love that little spot of pollen on its back leg! I also feel some cloning would be needed for this to be an artistic image but as a behavioral one it works great. Loads of detail and a very interesting capture!

Vida van der Walt
09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
A very interesting shot Steve. Love the detail and pose.