PDA

View Full Version : Brasvellbreen after sunset

beykirch
09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
That's the Brasvellbreen on Nordauslandet on the Northeastern side of Svalbard right after sunset. The colors are not altered in Photoshop.

http://www.seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Nordauslandet.jpg

Canon EOS 5DII, 4.0/17-40L at 28mm, ISO400, f5.6, 1/60sec

All comments are welcome

Bernd

Ed Cordes
09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
The colors are beautiful.. I kind of like a pano crop as well. Perhaps cropping the top down to just above the top of the white puffy clouds on the right.

Arthur Morris
09-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I am a sucker for that pink light. I like the framing and the COMP. Is that a tabular iceberg?

Ramesh Adkoli
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I like the minimalist approach to the composition. Beautiful and muted colors too. Very nicely done. Does it need few degree of CCW rotation, assuming the top of iceberg is parallel to horizon? TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Arthur Morris
09-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I think that if you run the ruler tool along the right hand portion of the horizon and then hit Image/Rotate/Arbitrary that the image will be shown as pretty level.

beykirch
09-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all your comments.

The island Nordauslandet of Svalbard has an approx. 150km (no typo) glacier front. That is a part of it and not a tabular iceberg. The image is level, the glacier front is going lower to the right hand side.

Regards

Bernd

Arthur Morris
09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the glacier info Bernd.

Roman Kurywczak
09-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Bernd,
I think you composed this very well but part of me does agree with Ed.....In the re-post I will show a pano crop.....just to let others compare.....but I did like the image as presented crop wise! I did do a multiplied layer at 30% opacity on the sky.....just to bring out some more depth to the sky and the colors. I did also add 3% to the blacks in the neutrals in selective color. This really made the sky a visual impact without overwhelming the iceshelf......I do prefer the pano crop but I think both work very well in this case with the added pop of the multiplied layer. Let me know what you think.

beykirch
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Roman,

very interesting comparison. The pano works very well as a picture but it is lacking the feeling I had this evening. The major memory I have (from 30/08/09) is the big sky with colours I have never experienced before.

The multiplied layer and blacks work really well.

Regards

Bernd

Arthur Morris
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I like them both and with the rich pink in the upper left corner something even wider might work as well.

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 07:47 AM
I can go with either crop as presented but like the original best. I like the wide open look that too me makes that iceberg look huge.