PDA

View Full Version : Red necked phalarope

Grace Scalzo
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Shore birds came to Jamaica Bay rather late this year, but when they did, there were some great evenings. This is a first for me, tough bird to photograph because they move so quickly.

1/2000, f5.6, ISO 40
Canon mk3, 500f4 + 1.4tc + groundpod

Randy Stout
09-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Grace:
Lovely, contemplative moment captured. Head position adds to the mood. Well exposed, sharp.

I tried a slightly different version of the image, with crop up from the bottom, and canvas added to the left side. To my eye it accentuates the low shooting angle and gets the bird out of dead center a bit.

Just an option, for this lovely image.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Great find, angle, light and mood. I like the idea of putting the bird a bit further to the right in the frame but would crop less off the bottom and include the entire reflection of the head.

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-10-2009, 10:43 AM
the repost looks better,I Iike the pose,low angle,bg,soft light!

Ramon M. Casares
09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
That repost is way better IMO, lovely pose, light, low angle, detail, colors, BG, and species. I am not sure about the crop from the bottom that cuts the head refection :S
Congratulations!

Gal Shon
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
They are very rare here as well.
At first, I wasn't sure about the centralization, after a min', with her/his swivel and fast swiming in mind, I realy like it.
I would identify this as a juvenile (I've seen only an adult), can someone confirm it?
I prefer the OP and I like the soft colors, light, sharpness, Comp, calm water, pose and exposure.
A little CCW is needed.

Stu Bowie
09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Grace, lovely light, colours and detail. Randy's repost works well, but another vote for not cutting off the head in the reflection.

Arthur Morris
09-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Way to go Grace. A lovely sharp image of a--yes--Red-necked Phalarope in fresh juvenile plumage. Was this from the north end of the East Pond? I am torn between the original and Randy's repost.

Love, love, love the reflections of the sky.

Kiran Poonacha
09-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Loved the soft feel and the pose, the blue reflection adds well.. congrats..

Joe Senzatimore
09-11-2009, 06:56 AM
One fine image Grace. I like the original better as I am not fond of cutting of the relection of the head. Moving it off center is not a bad idea. It make the image a little less static IMHO.

Randy Stout
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
I appreciate the points made about cutting off the head of the reflection.

When the reflection is sharp, I agree. When it is distorted and indistinct, as it was here, I think about it, but try to look at the entire image composition, and don't worry so much about cutting a reflection.

Just my .02. Lovely image as posted.

Randy

Bill Jobes
09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I love this photo, Grace!
It is technically superior, and the colors are simply beautiful.
I think Randy was onto something regarding the crop. Modifying his suggestion, I elected to preserve the beauty at the bottom of the image at the expense of the sameness of the upper part.
I hope you don't mind the suggestion -- it's a stunning photograph either way.