PDA

View Full Version : Purple Haze

Vida van der Walt
09-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Mating Mythicomyiidae flies. These are my favourite little flies. They feed on pollen and are often found on daisies. These two are sitting on a primula flower. To give you an idea of how small they are, look at the bottom right of the image at the white mark in front of my name. That is a side view of the fly and the true size. The little yellow specks on the eye and one of the wings are pollen.
One of the most difficult shots I ever undertook was an in-flight shot of one of these flies. Will post it sometime. Hope you like these comical creatures.:)

Vida van der Walt
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm so sorry. I've just realized I forgot to give shot info.:o
Canon 5D Mark11; Lens: MP E 65mm; Flash: MT 24EX
apert f14; ss1/200; iso 320
Hand held at approx 3 -4x magnification
Slight crop, sharpen, noise reduction, levels.

Steve Maxson
09-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi Vida. An outstanding image of these tiny creatures. I don't think I've ever seen flies with heads like this. Very nice job of getting both in focus within the very small DOF. The OOF purple flower petal makes a very pleasing background. Looking forward to your flight picture.

Vida van der Walt
09-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you for looking and commenting Steve. It is much appreciated.:)

Mike Moats
09-12-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey Vida, an excellent image which has a really nice pop in the critters. Love the sharp details and colors.

Julie Kenward
09-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Perfect DOF here, Vida! The comp is about as strong as I think it could be - maybe if there were a little separation between the yellow center and the head of the fly on the right - but that's pretty minor.

One thought I had was that it might be nice to see the underneath of the flower at the same level of darkness as the top left corner - that might give the petals on the flower even more of a pop.

Vida van der Walt
09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Thank you for the feedback Mike and Julie. Your comments are much appreciated.:)