PDA

View Full Version : Dogbane Beetle

Josh Gahagan
09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Taken this past summer using my friends Canon 100 macro. Macro photography is both very addicting and difficult, but I was able to get quite a few nice images this summer with this awesome lens.

20D, 100 f2.8 macro, 25mm extension tube, 1/100 @ f8, ISO 400.

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt184/jgahagan_09/dogbanebeetle2.jpg

Vida van der Walt
09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Beautiful colours, nice detail and great comp Josh. I would maybe have used a smaller aperture for a little bit more dof. Beetles are not the easiest of subjects to shoot and you did very well.

Steve Maxson
09-10-2009, 05:21 PM
A very colorful beetle, Josh. I like all the texture visible in its exoskeleton, though I would agree with Vida that a little more DOF would make it even better. A nice clean background and good comp. What I'm less fond of is the pose with all the legs dangling over the edge of the leaf. This gives the appearance of an insect that is not fully alert - you might check my wasp image above for another example of this. IMO, the image would be much stronger if the beetle was up on its "tip toes" instead of its "wrists." :) Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Julie Kenward
09-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Steve, I noticed the same thing and wondered if perhaps this was a beetle at rest? Lovely colors and details on this Josh. You did a really nice job of getting the beetle in focus and still retaining an unobstructive BG.

Craig Thompson
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Josh,

Very Cool!!!! I am not a bug person, (and spiders really freak me out) but I really like this image!!! I love the way you've captured the iridescent colors of it's carapace!!! (...don't like 'em much but I do know a bit of my natural sciences!!) ;)

This is just a really cool subject and a nice composition!! Wonderful colors,.. good DOF & choice of BG, Nicely done!!

Craig