PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Praying Mantis

Christopher Miller
09-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I had a very interesting experience with this praying mantis. I had been outside photographing and came inside to discover this praying mantis on my shirt! I think he must have really wanted his picture taken! :D Of course, I obliged and spent several minutes photographing him once I got him off my shirt and back outside. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 1/60, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; rotated to straighten the image, cropped, noise reduction, some selective sharpening, curves adjustments, and slight saturation boost

Steve Maxson
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I like the head-on view, Christopher. The image is very sharp around the head, front legs, and the leading edge of the leaf while the overall shallow DOF works well here. The background gives a sense of the habitat without being distracting, IMO. Well done.

Connie Mier
09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
This is great, I really like the position of the 2 in focus legs with the head above. The lighting is fantastic.

Vida van der Walt
09-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Lovely image Christopher. I like the use of dof that place the attention on the face and front legs. Nice detail and great colours as well.

Ed Cordes
09-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Eyes are tack sharp. The comments RE DOF are right on. My only wish is that the reflection on the head were reduced or eliminated. I am not sure if a polarizer would have helped?

Christopher Miller
09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Ed, the reflection bothered me too, so I had already toned it down some. I suppose I could try toning it down more.

Jerry van Dijk
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
That's a wonderful image, Christopher. I like the tight vetical crop and the DOF. Complementary colors of the BG are great as well. At what focal length did you shoot this image?
Kind regards,

Jerry.

Christopher Miller
09-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Jerry. This was taken at an equivalent focal length of about 58-59 mm (actual focal length was 9.84 mm). When taking close up photos like this one, I really don't have any choice of focal length because in order to focus real close, I have to switch to super macro mode, in which the focal length is fixed. Thanks for commenting!

Julie Kenward
09-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Nicely done, Christopher! You got a perfect angle and a very cooperative subject! Great eye contact and those two front feet - perfectly sharp!

Adrian David
09-13-2009, 02:49 AM
Nice pose and great eye contact! I like the composition and DOF.