PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Area visit

Michael Hogan
09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I am going to a conference in Orlando at the end of October. I am thinking about arrive 2 days early with my camera gear. I will rent a car so I am reasonably mobile. First question, is it worth bringing the camera gear (Canon 40D, 300mm, 500mm) at that time of year and that location. Second question - if it is worth it, where are the best locations - my free days are Friday and Saturday - I am looking for good photography opportunities in locations that don't get very busy :-).

Thanks

Michael

David Smith
09-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Michael...

Gatorland near Orlando is a "must see". Also there are numerous lakes in the immediate downtown Orlando area that have good populations of resident ducks, as well as all types of waterbirds.. I think that you can probably leave your 500 lens at home and bring your 300mm. Also for Gatorland a 100-300, 28-250 or Canons 100-400 L would be good lens, as trying to lug a big lens around the Gatorland boardwalks can sometimes be awkward.. The images at Gatorland will mostly be close as the birds are usually sitting very close to the boardwalks..

JMHO

Dave

Michael Hogan
09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
What about going over to Tampa - Fort De Soto or Merritt Island. Are they worth the effort at end of September and would I need 500 lens there

Nancy A Elwood
09-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Michael, Gatorland, although a nice place off season, October is off season, there is no rookery going on. The rookery season starts around February. Fort De Soto might be a good place with the migratory birds flying through. On the east coast Viera Wetlands would be good, but be prepared to walk, instead of using you car.

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Michael,

I would not recommend Gatorland this time of year. Birds do roost their overnight but leave before they open and arrive again around closing.

My recommendations are MINWR (Black Point Wildlife Drive primarily though dirt other roads are there to use) and Viera Wetlands.

Send me your email and I will attach copies of directions to these locations I give to my workshop participants. I generally prefer Viera in the AM. MINWR has been good lately in the afternoons with good colors at sunset if you have clouds.

Two great egrets from this past Saturday.

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Here is one from our sunset this past Saturday evening.

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Robert; Awesome pictures!!!
Don