PDA

View Full Version : Red-eyed tree frog, a bit different

Greg Basco
09-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi to all. Everyone knows the famed red-eyed tree frog (Agalychnis callidryas), and while I have some classic shots showing the colorful body, I wanted to simulate a kind of mysterious moonlit look for this nocturnal frog in this shot. Thus the exposure with deep dark and bright light tones was intentional. I was in very close so DOF was very limited!

I'll be interested to read what people think.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/forums/redeyesept09.jpg

Tech: Canon 5D, Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro lens, 430 EX flash on off-camera cord, mini-softbox, handheld (camera in one hand, flash in the other), F16, 1/200, ISO 50, full-frame, straight jpeg from RAW, no post-processing

Frog is wild and exactly as I found him at night on Costa Rica's Central Pacific Coast.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Very strong mood you captured here Greg. Truly amazing eyes. Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Julie Kenward
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Although I love the eyes and the deep, dramatic mood, I find myself wanting a hint more detail in the front of his face and body - just enough that my imagination could fill in the rest...

Make sense?

Christopher Miller
09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I love your idea, Greg! Very unique take on this frequently-photographed species. I love the red glow to the eyes. I'm not sure, but I think I'd prefer a tiny bit more room to the right. Just my opinion!

Vida van der Walt
09-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Something different and I like it. Agree with more space on the right and a bit less on the left.