PDA

View Full Version : Late afternoon on the Olifants River (Gradient Mask Blend)

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
As promised in my previous post (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45168), I also did a manual exposure blend using Gradient Masks in PS CS3 with the same 3 exposures. This time I just cropped a little tighter during PP.

Your thoughts will be highly esteemed. I like both, but think the HDR has more vibrance, despite the glow around the sun being better handled by this method.

I will be leaving for a well-deserved break to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park soon, and hope to be back by the 21st with some lovely avian, wildlife and landscape images to share (we all know how wonderful the light is in the Kalahari! :cool:)

Take care everyone, and thanks for making BPN a special place...

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey Morkel,
I do like the HDR better to for the vibrance and the rays stand out nicely there too! The river here stands out better but I think you could bring that up some more in the HDR.
Have a great time and looking forward to your images when you return!

Rich Ikerd
09-08-2009, 04:14 PM
The HDR version is much stronger Morkel; but its great that you tried both methods.

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
thanks Roman & Rich. just shows you there's no set rule on whether to apply which method - you'll have to experiment :)

Ed Cordes
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I like this version much better. It looks much more natural. There is a dust spot at 12:00 in the sky behind the Sunstar.

Morkel Erasmus
09-09-2009, 01:23 AM
thanks Ed - some people have told me they like this one more for the natural feel.
another option is to blend the 2 again - taking the best of each, will attempt that too!
thanks for pointing out the dust bunny...:)