PDA

View Full Version : DPP Users: Raw Histogram - Don't Use It

Joerg Rockenberger
09-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Now that's just great. Since I started to shoot Raw I used Canon's Digital Photo Professional software for Raw development. And it has this histogram on the raw tool palette which I took to be similar to the level histogram in Photoshop.

Well, it just ain't so. Found this video tutorial (link is below) about DPP 3.4 and at 52:28 the speaker starts explaining that this Raw histogram is not like a normal levels histogram or the histogram on the camera display. In fact, he warns against using it and specifically not to adjust the left and right sliders.

Of course, that's how I processed all my Raw images so far. It seems to do the same or similar thing but according to this speaker it's not recommended.

Can anyone corroborate that? Thanks, JR

http://www.video.bhphotovideo.com/?fr_story=6705482e45f83bfb581744e6bbf1bee3836e657f&rf=sitemap

arash_hazeghi
09-07-2009, 03:50 PM
John,

I think this is what you are talking about, this is the histogram that shows distribution of RAW intensity levels so it is more like a luminance histogram. It doesn't do much because you cannot control the curve besides the preset contrast values on the slider below it. Since this hitogram is pre demosaic it can be different compared to the luminance or RGB histogram of the actual converted photo as the speaker notes. I use it sometimes to reduce contrast but there isn't much more you can do, not a substitute for curve tools.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/hist.jpg

Ed Cordes
09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
IMHO, all the software developers should standardize processes like these. I can understand different features on different SW packages. However, something as basic as a histogram should be equal.

arash_hazeghi
09-26-2009, 05:42 PM
IMHO, all the software developers should standardize processes like these. I can understand different features on different SW packages. However, something as basic as a histogram should be equal.

ED, DPP does have standard RGB and luminance Histogram, exactly like PS and even better. This particular histogram is provided for people who want to see what the sensor tone curve looks like.

Joerg Rockenberger
10-11-2009, 11:28 AM
I think this is what you are talking about, this is the histogram that shows distribution of RAW intensity levels so it is more like a luminance histogram. It doesn't do much because you cannot control the curve besides the preset contrast values on the slider below it.

Actually you can adjust the black and white points in this histogram just like in a levels histogram. JR

PS: Sorry for the late comeback. Had forgotten about this thread.

Joerg Rockenberger
10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
ED, DPP does have standard RGB and luminance Histogram, exactly like PS and even better.

How are the RGB and luminance histograms in DPP better than in PS? JR