PDA

View Full Version : Contest: Dahlia

denise ippolito
09-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I took this at Longwood Gardens it was a Pink Dahlia. I used a flash for the original and it created a black BG. I thought it would be nice ot do a duo-tone w/ a hint of green. I would have preferred a very close crop w/o the BG inc. and the center of the flower in the ULC more-but this crop shows the duo-tone better.

Christopher Miller
09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Denise, I like the details in the flower and the color tone you chose is very nice. I think it would be even better if the bottom part of the flower was lighter, but that's just my opinion.

Desmond Chan
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
I think it would be better if the light was softened and the light source bigger, probably that requires the use of something like a soft light box. Guess it's just my personal taste though. Composition is fine with me.

Connie Mier
09-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Fantastic detail and a great choice of subjects. At first I agreed with the comments above about the lighting but after looking at the petals in more detail, I enjoyed the lighting effect moreso.

Julie Kenward
09-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree with Connie - I bet the image on your computer is beautifully detailed with little varying shades of the green/white combo because you can see the detail here after the jpeg compression. I think you did a beautiful job! I also agree that the bottom area being lighter might be nice - you could try to selected in and do a levels adjustment on it alone - but I do really like the original!

Ed Vatza
09-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I dunno, Denise. Guess I'm the contrarian here. I like the shading moving from top to bottom. It adds a feeling of depth. And there is something about the perspective that intrigues me. My first impression was that it looks all wrong and yet the more I look at it the more it just feels right! Nice work.

denise ippolito
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Thankyou all for taking the time to comment- I appreciate it.

Mike Moats
09-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Hey Denise, love the lighting and details, the treatment used looks great. Well done.

Anita Bower
09-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Nice details on all those little petals. I wonder what it looks like in color.

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Denise,
I'm with Ed, I think the lighting is pretty cool and I like the way it goes from light to dark. Almost looks like a glowing pencil sketch. I agree with a crop off the bottom......maybe 1/2 the upper horizontal leaf?....just makes the flower stand out even more! Nicely done!

Julie Kenward
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
This was so close! I had at least three others that I had to look at over and over again but you won me in the end, Denise! I'M VOTING THAT THIS IS MY WINNER!

denise ippolito
09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Julie, Thankyou so much. I feel so honored.

Michael Zajac
09-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I really like this. Nicely done w/ lots of detail. I vote this the winner.

denise ippolito
09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Michael, I appreciate you taking the time to look.