PDA

View Full Version : Dead Tree, Glacier NP

JB Ellis
09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Dead tree in color, I usually do dead trees in BW, but this looked intriguing to me in color. What do you think? 1/1000, f9, 400ISO.

Dave Mills
09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi JB, Presenting this in color works for me. The lighting is pleasing creating strong sillouettes. This might not have been possible but I would have preferred the tree not merging with the backround but framing the 2nd mountain from the left. A lower angle might have done that.

JB Ellis
09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Dave, the shot can not be redone now(vacation over), but I might be able to clone out a couple of limbs to take away most of the merging.

JB Ellis
09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I tried taking one limb out. I think its an improvement. Too much trouble for the others. Is is an improvement?

Dave Mills
09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi JB, Yes it is. The more you can see of the unmerged tree IMO the stronger the image!

Dyer Lytle
09-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi JB,

I like the tree a lot, I also like the mountains and lake behind it. Unfortunately, I feel they are a bit in conflict, I want the tree out of the way so I can see the mountains and lake! I know you can't go retake the image but if I were there, I would try to get down low with a wide angle lens and try to silhouette the tree against mostly sky but keep the mountains in the picture below the tree. Of course, that might not have been possible :-) Looking again, I see some lens flair near the top of the image so I suppose the sun might be just out of the frame so my "get low, shoot up" idea probably wouldn't work at this time of day. The exposure looks good and the image is sharp.

-Dyer

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Repost is definitely better JB! I tend to agree with Dyer's thoughts of wanting to see more of the lake and mountains. I like the colour in this as opposed to straight B&W :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey JB,
Repost is definitely stronger and the getting lower advice was the way to go.....getting seperation of the tree more in the sky......could you go left????....and get the tree away from the mountins??? Still nice layers and tones in this one and well handled.

Ed Cordes
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Colors are great! I also like the sillhouhette effect. I wish you had been able to get lower to have the tree's BG only the sky.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I like the original post, IMO i like the mountains behind the tree and like the tree extended out. The sky has a beautiful color.:) Great job

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 08:12 AM
JB,

Agree the a lower perspective as suggested was the way to go.