PDA

View Full Version : Wild Berries

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-07-2009, 10:20 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3896855146_ba775e1093_o.jpg
Not sure what type of wild berry this is, but it caught my eye with it's bright colors. All C&C welcome
Thanks for looking

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/1250
Av 5.6
ISO 200
EF70-200mm f/4L USM
Focal Length 200.0 mm

denise ippolito
09-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Kyle, Really nice details and colors. If it were mine I'd crop a bit tighter and clone out the OOF flower stem in the BG. since it is clipped. But that is just my opinion-:) Still very nicely done.

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi Kyle Marie,
I see these all over too and they are tough subjects. I do like the way you isolated it against the BG and I too wish the rear OOF one wasn't there or in a different position. Sharp for 5.6!

Anita Bower
09-07-2009, 12:11 PM
These are Pokeberries, from the Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana). They are natives to the US, but I have heard that they originally grew south of Pennsylavania. They can become invasive. The birds love the berries and tend to drop them on laundry hanging on the line this time of year.

Now, to the photograph! You did a nice job capturing the berries. I like that this stem has some ripe ones, some green ones, and some missing ones. I agree with Denise about croping and cloning. Nice focus on the berries while blurring the BG.

Christopher Miller
09-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I love the bright colors and how you isolated the berries from the BG. Agree with Denise's suggestions on cropping and cloning. Well done.

Connie Mier
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
The colors are great, and a variety as well. I agree with cropping suggestions above, I'd like to see this full frame.

Julie Kenward
09-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Anita, thank you! These grow near my fence and I never knew what they were. You're right...the birds do love to eat them!

Kyle, I agree with the other suggestions as well. One thing you might watch when you are out in the field is what shows up in the BG that you didn't see when you took the image. I also give a quick look after I take the first image and see what my eye missed when I was framing the subject at hand. In this case, I think I could live with the OOF branch in the back but that leaf at the top is half hidden and I find that to be more distracting. Getting the leaf in the front or to the side or out of the way might have given you a different look to the image.

Just a thought...something to remember when out in the field.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Thank you every one for looking and giving your opinions, Julie that is a good idea about looking at the first image, something so simple can make a big difference Thanks, and Anita thanks for the identity of the berry for me, the birds do love them.

Mike Moats
09-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Hey Kyle, I think you have some good suggestions but I actually like the comp as is. Good details on the main subject and I like the positioning and the DOF on the one in the BG.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Mike, I also like the one in the BG, I could of took it out, but I felt like it added something to the picture, Thanks for looking:)