PDA

View Full Version : Late afternoon on the Olifants River (HDR)

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I will be posting 2 versions of this shot - a full HDR and a natural exposure blend. I like both for varying reasons.

This shot was taken on a lookout point over the Olifants River in the Kruger National Park. I created a 3-shot HDR in Photomatix, and blending some detail back from the original shots in Photoshop.

We couldn't stay for sunset as we had to reach our camp by the time the gate closes...so I had to attempt a decent f22-sunflare in this shot. I like the way the vibrant colours came out in this one - something lacking in the natural blend. I wish there were some clouds in the sky...but alas we take what we get.

Your comments will be highly appreciated. I will post the natural exposure blend later in the week. Tonight is our wedding anniversary so I will probably only reply to suggestions by tomorrow :)

Dave Mills
09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Morkel, The lighting is beautiful and the flare effective. Compositionally I would have preferred the bush not blocking the river on the left.

Morkel Erasmus
09-07-2009, 10:50 PM
thanks Dave. I actually like the bush as it gives scale to the composition. This was the best view over the river on this side as you're allowed to exit your vehicle at this spot but only in a confined space.

Jay Gould
09-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Mate, while I know this is shot in the heat of almost summer, and that is a river, I see it also as frozen water it is so white and this is a a very cold winter day with the sun rising! :D

Nope, not smoking anything funny; just enjoy your image!

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2009, 05:49 AM
thanks Jay - not thinking that you smoked anything. This was actually taken smack-dang in the middle of winter - the bushveld doesn't get really cold, it was about 18 degrees Celcius on that day.

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Hey Morkel,
Happy aniversary! I do like the flare and the position in the frame. I do wonder if a vert w/o the bushes left would be stronger.....as the flare is the star of the show. HDR looks pretty good too.....amybe just a slight crop off the left......straight down fhe e in first name of signature. Looking forward to the other post for comparison too! Nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
hey Roman

good idea regarding vertical, here's what I came up with...I specifically cropped so that the rays of the sun go into the corners...

Roman Kurywczak
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I think this makes the strongest presentation! Very nicely done!

Rich Ikerd
09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
The repost is much stronger Morkel - it nicely accentuates both the sun rays and the river.

Morkel Erasmus
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
thanks a lot for the help Roman, and the comment Rich :)

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I vote for the recrop Morkel.

Elmar Venter
09-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I really like this. Somehow I like the original post more - the suntrail is not so overpowering. Either way, well done!! Enjoy Kgalagadi!

Morkel Erasmus
09-21-2009, 01:31 AM
thanks a lot Robert & Elmar!

I'm back with more than 2000 images to work through... :) was amazing...