PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Breaks, Utah

Steve Patterson
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
With a little cropping, I liked the geometric form of this photo. Cedar Breaks NM, Utah (north of Bryce NP).

40D with 17-40 1/80s F11 iso 400
http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/86543189/original.jpg

Robert Amoruso
09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Remeber Cedar Breaks well. Nice oasis from the busier Bryce Canyon.

The series of switchbacks help to lead your eye through the image. I would have like to see more top and bottom but especially the top as it appears to end abruptly cutting the top ridges before breaking out at the tree line.

Though I like the high-contrast look here I suggest you investigate lower contrast. You can try a reverse s-curve (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434).

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey Steve,
I'm OK with the contrast......as my film love is still around.......but I would go with the room recommendation if you have it....especially on the top......I do like the flow but for me it ends too abruptly at the top....an alternative would be to remove the green entirely.....works pretty well too. I have never been there with snow so it must have been quite the treat for you!!!....love the contrast of the red rocks and snow! Nicely done!

Steve Patterson
09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the comments and help. I am sorry to say I don't have any more on top here..my mistake at the time of shooting. I did try this with all the green on top gone, and I like it.....I just hate losing the snow on top as I think it adds a lot to the scene. Not a perfect image, for sure. I am not sure which way I prefer.................

Rich Ikerd
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Definitely a difficult subject to photography Steve. I like the high contrast look of the canyon and the snow definitely adds a lot. As the others have said, the top looks a bit cut-off; maybe you can correct it next time (there's almost always a next time right?).

Steve Patterson
09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Definitely a difficult subject to photography Steve. I like the high contrast look of the canyon and the snow definitely adds a lot. As the others have said, the top looks a bit cut-off; maybe you can correct it next time (there's almost always a next time right?).
I will be out that way in a couple weeks....doubt I will be lucky enough to have snow this early in the year, though.....but you never know.

david cramer
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Nice work. This image will still work extremely well if you crop of some from the top. Yes, you lose a little snow, but you still have plenty of it going on in the rest of the image, and the crop will really highlight those beautiful geometric patterns.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I really love the colors of the canyon and the green tress scattered around. You already got some good comments about the crop. Great job:)