PDA

View Full Version : Another Eastern Sierra's pre dawn image

Steve Bein
02-10-2008, 12:47 AM
A fantastic morning, the mountains glowing. How can one resist. I did a series of this, moving around for different compositions in the beautiful Alabama Hills.
5D
24-105 IS @93mm
2 sec, f/16
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1
ISO: 200

Stephen Cunliffe
02-10-2008, 08:18 PM
maybe just a little too much of the foreground? to my mind the rocks at the left detract from those lovely mountains.

Robert Amoruso
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Steve,

I think the Stephen brought up a good point of the left FG rocks competing too much with the BG peak. Moving to the left could have placed just a portion of the tall rocks at the frame's edge acting as a frame to the image. I like the tones and feel of the image and the muted colors. Very earthy looking. Some local contrast enhancement would put some more snap in the image.

Bret Edge
02-11-2008, 01:44 AM
The mountains are gorgeous but I do find there to be a little too much FG for my liking. The FG worked well in your previous post but this is a bit heavy. I really enjoy the sky in this one, Steve.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
The rocks in the foreground are competing for interest with the beautifully lit mountains in the background. The rocks because of their size and placement in the frame detract a bit from an otherwise pleasing exposure. I would have been interested in a flatscape image captured with a 400mm zoom and focusing on the mountain range...especially the upper right of this image with the nice diagonals in the mountains.

D. Robert Franz
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Love the light on this image Steve. I don't find the rocks a problem. If you follow the rocks starting with the right FG they do lead you into the mountain range in sort of an S curve... A slightly higher shooting position (if possible) might open up the mid range of this scene giving a greater feeling of depth....