PDA

View Full Version : Hornet nest...

Adrian David
09-05-2009, 02:25 PM
They were really big!!! About 3-3,5 cm....Brrrr...I didn't had the courage to stay to long close to them because they were very nervous...

Camera Model : NIKON D300
Exposure Time : 1/160 sec
F Number : 9.0
Exposure Program : Aperture Priority
ISO Speed : 500
Exposure Bias Value : 0.0
Max Aperture Value : 5.3
Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Light Source : Auto
Flash : fill
Focal Length : 500.0 mm
ColorSpace : -1
Sensing Method : One-chip color area sensor
Lens : Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6,3 OS

Lance Peters
09-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi - Dont blame you - guess these guys sting!! Not a lot of options for composition other than the use of a longer lens to keep you further away from the action.

As presented I would crop away a lot from the top - a lot of negative space up there that doesn't add anything to the story - will also bring the focus on to the wasps, were you want it.

Thanks for sharing :)

Gus Cobos
09-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi Adrian,
I like the capture on these little guys...:eek::D...agree with Mr. Peters on the cropping from the top to place more attention on the action...the color rendition is good, my selective sharpen a few of the wasps...looking forward to the next one...:cool:

Richard Waas
09-05-2009, 08:28 PM
A tighter crop would really make this interesting. Good use of a long lens....

Oscar Zangroniz
09-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Agree with Richard comments. Don't blame you for not staying around

Alfred Forns
09-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi Adrian Neat image !!! Agree with corp suggestions and would have tried increasing the ISO and closing down more for dof These type images do better with lots of it !!! Focal length wise you are better of with longer for safety but shorter for dof !!! ... depends how brave you are .. btw I would have been far away !!!

Adrian David
09-06-2009, 11:15 AM
The hornets and wasps, build their nests from cellulose, not from wax, as the bees do! They use for this, rotten wood from trees.I have chosen this crop because in the upper part you can see the texture of the wood where the hornets have collected their material for nest building.The actual nest is inside the trunk.