PDA

View Full Version : Wading bird

Linwood Ferguson
09-05-2009, 10:17 AM
http://linwoodferguson.smugmug.com/photos/640011796_6fbjf-XL.jpg

I liked the head angle and direct-on walk, but it just seems a bit drab. It was a D300 with 200-400 w 1.4xTC, some fill flash, and a setting/cloudy sun almost directly behind. I pulled up the oranges and yellows a bit and still didn't get much.

Suggestions welcomed.

PS. the Vignette darkening was on purpose to try to make the body pop a bit more. Helpful.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I like the direct-walk on too. Very sharp and details, exposure is nice too. I also like the foamy water too. Might try to lighten image a bit. Wish you could go a bit lower with angle.

Lance Peters
09-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi - do post your full shooting info including shutter speed and aperture and your full flash info if yo know it - will help everyone see what is happening.
Like the sharpness and the in your face close up - as presented I would crop some from the top - little too much negative space up there for my personal tastes.

Looks a little flat - could try adding a tad of contrast to give him that bit more POP.

Keep them coming :)

Gus Cobos
09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Ferguson,
I like the capture, you have a good head angle and direct eye contact, agree with Mr. Peters on the techs, would also adjust the mid-tones just a tad...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Linwood Ferguson
09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Thank you for the comments.

It was ISO800 @ 490mm, F5.6, 1/800th.

It was to some extent a grab shot looking down at the water, so luck of the draw. I was pretty sure the flash was on, but the exif says 'did not fire'. Which I find a bit hard to believe as the sun was off at about 1 or 2-oclock with direct on as 12.

I'll play with the contrast; I agree with the comment on it being a bit drab.

Thank you.

Alfred Forns
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Most back lit images will have this type of look !!

You need fill flash !! The exposure is correct for the bg but not for the bird itself, its probably one under. Head on poses are always tough, in this case seeing just part of one eye doesn't help much Do like the low angle and what you were trying to accomplish !!

Linwood Ferguson
09-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Most back lit images will have this type of look !!

You need fill flash !!

The flash was on the camera, I suspect I over-ran it and got this one without it firing.

I didn't realize it had not fired until I looked in response to one of these replies.

You are most correct.