PDA

View Full Version : **** this wind

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-05-2009, 04:32 AM
Captured this wind swept Egret on EOS 5D MKII, with 400mm f/5.6L, at 1/2000 sec. f/5.6, ISO-400, Pattern Metering, Manual Exposure, 0 step.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png

Randy Stout
09-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Chris:

Truly a bad hair day. Your bird is sharp, bill open a plus.

The whites are overexposed in areas and I am seeing some color noise in the background.When I checked the histogram, only a few blinkies showed up, but there is really a loss of detail in certain areas of the whites, esp. the upper back. I was able to pull out a bit more detail after running highlight protection, so I think if you reconvert it with a slightly lower exp. setting, that there is more detail to be had.

Randy

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks Randy, but I am going to give away trying to downsize these huge 21 MP files and go back to my 1D MKIII .

The images produced are awesome but when pulled back to post on the web are simply not worth it

I have a buyer for many of my recent 5DMKII images and I think in future I will restrict to posting 1.3 crop here rather than the 35mm images.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-05-2009, 07:34 AM
A question asked by my son has just worried me.

My post contained the word "****" which was **** out.

We are a very conservative and religious family and have never had that word deemed as offensive before in any of the 170 forums that we suscribe to.

Is this word consided "offensive" in this forum?

Axel Hildebrandt
09-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Chris, I don't know what word you used, profanity and curse words are replaced by the forum software automatically. What is the first letter? :)

Daniel Cadieux
09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Man, this guy looks miserable - no wonder it's thoughts have been censored!! :-) Sorry, still can't see which word that was so I can't comment on its' offensiveness...

Even with a smaller original file from another camera, if you overexpose or clip highlights the results will be the same for the web - and you will still have to be careful for HAs (this one is looking ever so slightly away). What is your resizing method? Are you using "Save for web", or other method? Check this thread form the Educational Resources forum which may give you some good info:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=839

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Chris, I don't know what word you used, profanity and curse words are replaced by the forum software automatically. What is the first letter? :)
<!-- / message -->

"D" followed by "A" followed by ""M" followed by "N"

Just wondered as it is frequently used from the pulpit in our church:)

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Daniel, I am now reading up on resizing by Tim Grey but thank you for your advice.