PDA

View Full Version : lousy Bald Eagle photo

Cheryl Flory
02-09-2008, 10:38 PM
This is not my best bird photo, but it is my latest one with a problem. By the time you crop in to the bird, the picture is quite noisy. It was a very overcast day and the picture is at 100% (I think) I used a Canon 40D, f8.0 1/1600, ISO 400, 120mm, exposure +.33. (As you can tell from the picture, I am a novice at this.) I did not do any adjusting on the picture except to add a bit of contrast to the head, so you can see exactly what is the problem. My question is should I just not try to shoot birds which are not close by if my only lens at this time is a 28-135 IS? :confused:

Comments very much appreciated! I am going to Florida for a vacation at the end of March, and am anxious to improve my photography as much as possible before then.

Cheryl Flory
02-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Obviously, I couldn't get the picture to load. Is there a way to save pictures that are too noisy? Or too small?

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Cheryl did you try what I suggested? If it won't load email it to me an will upload

Will wait to see the image to comment but noise (reasonable) can be removed Noise Ninja does a very good job !!! Easy to use

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Your bird is flying Cheryl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this bird the exposure is a bit under When we try to open up to lighten noise will appear They are tough to save

You got a nice wing spread Would like more room for the bird Its hard to evaluate the sharpness with the image being a big dark Just remember to open up at least one (probably more on overcast days !!!

Cheryl Flory
02-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Thank you for you help, Alfred! I appreciate it.

Judd Patterson
02-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Bird flight photographs with a 28-135mm lens is an incredible feat...well done. I'd continue to photograph birds with that lens, but you'll just have to accept that for all but the tamest birds, cropping will be necessary. It'll be great practice for when you can get a longer lens! Like Alfred said, this is unexposed and that can really bring out the noise in an image. My suggestion in flat/overcast lighting like this is to overexpose by 2/3 a stop or even more (experiment)...in your case I probably would have been +1 1/3. I also would have used a smaller f-number so that my shutter speed stayed as high as possible...probably would have been at f/5.6. Nice pose from this eagle, and good luck the next time around!

Cheryl Flory
02-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Judd, I have shot with smallest f-number possible before, but was thinking that if my lens is sharper at its middle range, that I wanted a sharp picture. When I first saw this eagle, it was just roosting. I had to go home to get my camera and return (about 30 minutes later.) I figured I wouldn't need to fast of a speed if it wasn't flying. lol Of course, once I got there, I had to stay and shoot until it did fly away, and I like those pictures much more than the static poses. Thank you for the advice. I will overexpose more next time.

Pat Nighswander
02-09-2008, 11:57 PM
In Florida you can get a lot closer to them so keep shooting. I had a lot of practice before getting the Canon 100 to 400 and I learned lots of ways of getting close when you don't have a big lens.. and now I have to back off on the 400 sometimes..I think you image could use a little shadows and highlights... some sharpening...I think it is savable... I saw a free program when you can increase images in size.. I have very little experience with it as I just downloaded it an hour ago and it is free for 3 more hours.. some promo software.. makes pictures larger...through advanced software..it is called reshade..
http://www.givewawayoftheday.com/reshade/?activate
in the mean time are you using raw that will help with your Florida shots..

Cheryl Flory
02-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Pat, thank you for your comments and encouragement that I will be able to get closer to birds while in Florida. I tried the link, but couldn't get it to work. I do need to improve my PhotoShopping skills. Yes, I am shooting RAW. This pic is from my RAW file, with a bit of adjusting to it. But when I lightened it even up to .33, the bird's belly went bad. How much do you overexpose?

On this pic, I knew I should overexpose, but didn't know how much. How do you know? Is that just experience? I overexposed a little, and use only the center focal point, thinking that would tell the camera how dark the bird was. Obviously, that didn't work. Is there a rule of thumb? Is it the same for heavy snow-overcast skies as it is for the bright-clear-sunny skies of Florida?

Nonda Surratt
02-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Cheryl,

WOW with the 28-135! Not sure where you live or if this will make much sense,but I chased Turkey Vultures around for about a year working on big black bird in sky (yea I'm a slow learner:)) but it helped me a lot. Not the same as the white and black of a eagle but it sure helps with the black part.

Cheryl Flory
02-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Nonda, I know Hebron, OH! I sis used to live near there. Now I am in SE Michigan.

So what did you learn about shooting big black birds?:) In addition to needing a longer lens? This cropping to 100% of a small part of the picture, just doesn't leave much of a quality photo.

Nonda Surratt
02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Nonda, I know Hebron, OH! I sis used to live near there. Now I am in SE Michigan.

So what did you learn about shooting big black birds?:) In addition to needing a longer lens? This cropping to 100% of a small part of the picture, just doesn't leave much of a quality photo.

So where did sis live???

What did I learn with BBBs,how to get them exposed somewhat properly, most of the time, then just took that information right on through to other birds. Longer lens? I always want a longer lens;)

BeePNogie
02-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Cheryl I like your eagle Big Bird !!!!

Robert Amoruso
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Cheryl,

Underexposure is your biggest problem here. Though a lower exposure compensation was mentioned, I would start out at +2 on an overcast day. This will push the shadows up further on the tonal scale. The higher they go that better (i.e. less) the noise will be. In Photoshop you will use a levels adjustment to expand the tonal range and place the blacks further down in the tonal range where they belong w/o all the noise.

Since it is overcast, you can push exposure until the sky overexposes and this will get tons of tonal data in the shadows and vastly improve the image (less noise).

Great wing spread.

hal bruce
02-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Hi Cheryl,
The "accepted" way to enlarge an image is with "Genuine Fractals" but really, I think you're gonna need a longer lens.
Even the Canon 70-300mm non-IS is a surprisingly sharp lens at a very modest price and of course they improve as you pay more.
If the budget is a bit tight, check out EBay. You would just love the straight 400mm Canon. Breathtakingly sharp !!
eland

hal bruce
02-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Cheryl, I've just lightened your eagle with levels (Middle Slider). There is a lot of feather detail and the bill and legs come up well
with added Right hand slider. Amazing for such a short lens.
eland

Cheryl Flory
02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
thank you, Robert. Great advice! I will do that next time I go out.

Cheryl Flory
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Eland, Did you do anything with the noise when you lightened the image?
Yes, I do need a longer lens. I just got this camera for Christmas, and am saving up for a lens. Meanwhile, I want to be out there photographing and improving my beginner's skills. I want to be ready for that lens someday! :)