PDA

View Full Version : Semipalated Plover

Steve Friel
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm new to this site, very open to constructive criticism. You can't hurt my feelings, I umpired college baseball for 12 yrs.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ADDgpoT3qTA/SqGHgPAUX1I/AAAAAAAABQ0/0S6bAHmH7Vw/s640/20090831-20090831-_MG_7723-EditSemipalmated%20Plover%20Fall%20.jpg

Camera Model Name Canon EOS-5D
Lens EF300mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Av( Aperture Value ) f/11
ISO Speed 100
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
Metering Mode Spot Metering
Exposure Compensation +0
Crop approx.1/3 of original
This image was embeded from picasa this could account for some of the quality issues.

Randy Stout
09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Steve, and a big welcome to BPN.

Please be sure to include your images tech. data, such as camera, lens, settings, post processing info.
that really helps us understand how the image was created and to provide useful comments.

Your bird is sharp, the head angle is good, nice to have the foot up. Well exposed.

The image quality seems a bit low, as if this was a significant crop?

The lack of a catchlight makes the eye seem a bit lifeless.

From a composition standpoint, I would probably crop up from the bottom about 1/2 of the way up the free space. Just a smidge more space to the left so as to not crowd the tail would be nice.

You can repost your camera info, or add it to the original post.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Peter Wallack
09-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Good Image with some good critiquing here. You might use a dodge tool sized properly to lighten the eye in small 10 % steps.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Welcome to BPN, Steve! Good-looking specimen, good sharpness and eye contact. I would try a lower angle and photograph earlier or later in the day since the light looks quite harsh and hence no catchlight. I agree with Randy regarding the crop and would tone down the highlights some more. Keep them coming!

Steve Friel
09-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Thank you all for your comments. They have helped me a great deal.

Thanks
Steve