PDA

View Full Version : acratech's new ball head

John Hawkins
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this company's products. More specific this ball head.
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=69
Thanks,
John

Ed Cordes
09-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Arcatech has a great reputation. This one looks interesting. However, only rated at 25 lbs seems a bit light for most of us. I noticed the website shows a 100-400 in the gimbal set up. perhaps a a leveling base with a 5D2 and a WA lens it would be just right?

Greg Basco
09-05-2009, 08:44 PM
John, I used the previous model (GV2) after the folks at Acratech assured me it was sturdy enough for my Canon 300 mm f2.8. That did not prove to be the case, however, and I ended up having to send the stressed the ballhead back for repair. That said, they fixed it quickly and at no cost to me, and the ballhead is really quite nice. I've kept it as a second ballhead for when I want to travel light or go out for a day of only macro and landscape photography. If you are using the Acratech with a lens smaller/lighter than a 300 f2.8 (say a Canon 100-400 or 300 f4) I would say this head would work just fine. If you have currently or are thinking of acquiring a larger lens, I would look into other options.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Chris Knight
09-07-2009, 01:46 AM
I also have a GV2, no problems that need mentioning. Biggest lens I have is a Nikon 200mm f2 with 1.7tc that I put a RRC foot on. Works good in the gimbal mode and standard position. Smooth positive locking knobs. I have read of some users untightening the clamp knob by accident and having camera and lense fall to the ground. I just make sure that it is on the opposite side from the ball tension knob all the time and pay attention.