PDA

View Full Version : Just a white lily

Connie Mier
09-04-2009, 06:32 PM
There have been several beautiful photos posted of lilies lately, so I was a bit hesitant to post this here. One thing I think makes this somewhat unique is that I was able to get right on top of it with the macro lens, something I could never do with the telephoto. So at the very least, I post this for critiques as well as a plug for the macro lens.

Sony a700, Sigma 180mm
1/1000, f11, ISO200, no flash, handheld, manual and matrix metering, no exposure bias
Connie
PS I wished now I would have cloned out the stem in the water to the left of flower.

denise ippolito
09-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Connie, I like your composition and agree w/ you about the stem. I might tone down the whites and yellows a bit, but wait to hear what others have to say as I am on my lap-top. I think you did a great job focusing HH. I hear great things about that lens.

Connie Mier
09-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi Denise, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it as always. FYI, I do all my PP on a laptop, but do calibrate it regularly. I may be wrong, but I figured the true test is if the monitor and print photo are the same, and so far that has been the case on my prints (at least in my eyes).

It would be interesting for some one to post a photo and ask repliers to comment specifically on the whites. I wonder how varied the responses would be.

Ed Cordes
09-05-2009, 09:47 PM
OK we all agree the stem has to go. HH is hard enough but you did a great job here. I agree with Denise that the whites are just a bit hot. Perhaps a curves or levels adjustment would control them as well as darkening the BG a bit more. If not I would create a multiply layer and tone down the ULC leaf.

Julie Kenward
09-06-2009, 05:29 AM
You did get an interesting view, Connie! I can't get anywhere near this angle at my local botanical garden. I feel your whites are right on the edge but I can still see a lot of detail and even a hint of yellow on them when I really press in and look closely. From a regular distance they do appear close to the edge but, as I said, detail is still there, so I think it's just a preferential point of how white should the whites be? I do think the yellow could be pulled back just a touch, though.

And yea for the macro lens doing what it does best!

Roman Kurywczak
09-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi Connie,
Great advice given above.....you may also want to try this....adding blue may add a bit more depth to the whites too and tame the yellows some. Let me know if that works! I too agree with the stem removal!

Connie Mier
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Everyone, thank you for the advice. Roman, I will give your suggestion a shot and if I can find a moment to, I'll repost it. If not, notes taken for next shot!
Connie