PDA

View Full Version : Bee in flight

Romy Ocon
02-09-2008, 10:30 PM
This comes from a series of bee in flight captures from last year, comments/critiques much appreciated.

20D + 100 2.8 USM macro, hand held
1/160 sec, f/8, ISO 400, on-board flash at -1/3 FEC
RAW, levels adjustment, selective USM/contrast/NR, 89% of full frame

Regards,

Romy

Robert O'Toole
02-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Super timing and focus Romy. This image isnt easy to make. the comp is classic as is the honey bee with the pollen sacs. Sharpness is good as is the detail.

The only thing that I am not crazy about is the harshness to the on camera and the fact that it looks like it was taken in a dark studio. I usually set the exposure and use the ambient for fill. Here the flash is so strong the background goes black.
Good image anyway.
Oh and a small minor detail,I would mask out that little black lower left corner.

Thanks,

Robert

John Cooper
02-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Stunning image Romy!! You did well to capture the bee in flight and in sharp focus. I am with Robert on the very dark BG as it suggests a night-time activity - but thats just a personal view - still a lovely image.

Mike Moats
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey Romy, I'm always amazed at these shots. Timing is everything. You did a very nice job on this one, great details on the bee. Although the black BG is not a natural look it works okay for me.

intoit
02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I really love the clarity and sharpness in this bee. Wonderful image in every sense of the word!!