PDA

View Full Version : Winter in the NE?

Michael Lloyd
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
I wonder what the weather is going to be like up "yonder" this year. The forum doesn't really have a good place to put this question so I'm trying it out here and the mods can move it if they have a better place for it.

I live between Houston and San Antonio. Our bird species are pretty constant. Hummers are in at the moment. Bluebirds come in spring. I also have Upland Sandpipers pass through here on the way to their wintering grounds (cool to see and hard to photograph) and they are here. The cool thing about the Upland Sandpipers is that when I first saw them there were 3. Now there are a few dozen.

Baltimore Orioles I don't have. I've never seen them in the 10+ years that I have lived here. I've got, so far, three in my yard today. That's why I'm wondering if winter is going to come in a little early or be a little more harsh this year.

Pardon the lack of quality. They aren't cooperating :)

Alfred Forns
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi Michael

Best place to post the question would be in the regional forum for the area you want !!! Will move to the North East Section !!

Bob Ettinger
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Michael,

They are talking about colder and more snow up here this winter.

Michael Lloyd
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Interesting. I kind of thought birds would be good indicators. The Upland Sandpipers are very early. Almost a month early. Thanks for the reply.

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks Michael for sharing with us and I will look forward to your future posts.

LouBuonomo
09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
well the winter birds are stating to come into the yard feeders.. a little early.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I read reports that people saw white-winged crossbills, pine siskins and purple finches in Pennsylvania today and a snowy owl in Jersey City, seems very early.

http://wildnewjersey.tv/2009/09/07/wild-new-jersey-exclusive-typically-arctic-snowy-owl-spotted-on-nj-beach-in-summertime.aspx