PDA

View Full Version : St. Marys River, Glacier National Park

JB Ellis
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Little different (for me) including the sun in the shot. 100 ISO, 1/125 sec, F 7, 14, & 25 (HDR). I took lots of images of the river, but this was the only one with the sun in my face. I probably should have set the f-stop at 22 and varied the shudder speed. The middle of the picture is too dark for me and I'm not happy with the sky. Any ideas?

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey JB,
Like the comp and the placment of the sunburst......well placed and the flow moves nicely through the scene. I felt like you did that the MG was a bit muddied/blocked.......and even though it sounds like a lot.....this was pretty quick......used lasso tool for all layers selections. Here goes....took the MG and did a screen blend layer (check Robert's tutorial under blending modes)....then 2 selective color ones.....neutrals a few points to the blacks and same with the blacks.....2 selective levels layers and a slight BC one.....all in the MG area. Let me know what you think.

David Thomasson
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Very nice ... light, comp, textures, color, flow. It's all there. I would be more aggressive in bringing out the shadow details in the middle ground
(levels, in this case, selectively painted in). For the sky I used a blue filter and a red filter, applied with gradients.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/884/glacier.jpg

JB Ellis
09-05-2009, 06:07 AM
You guys are really making a difference. This picture might turn into the keeper I was hoping for after all. Thanks

Jay Gould
09-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Hello All, David you are definitely turning this into a potential keeper. There is, of course, a green bit of flare right in the middle of the water in the LL that needs to be eliminated. Just goes to show what a magician with a deft PS hand can do!

Paul Marcellini
09-05-2009, 10:11 AM
You got some great help here, next time try varying shutter speeds instead of f-stop for exposure though as you said. Changing the f-stop is changing the overall focus and dof and probably making it harder on the hrd program to align. It probably will cause a loss of image quality.

David Thomasson
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Hello All, David you are definitely turning this into a potential keeper. There is, of course, a green bit of flare right in the middle of the water in the LL that needs to be eliminated. Just goes to show what a magician with a deft PS hand can do!

Good eye, Jay! I didn't even notice the flare. :cool:

Robert Amoruso
09-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Paul's right JB, always the shutter speed varies, not the f/stop when blending exposures. Shadow/Highlights can also be used to open the the shadows. If it gets flat, add mid-tone contrast.

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Agree with Paul on varying SS rather than aperture (works best if you shoot using exposure bracketing).
I like the comp and elements and think that David has brought out the best in this image...ditto green lens flare (often a byproduct of HDR rendering)