PDA

View Full Version : Critique this image 2

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2009, 07:08 PM
OK.....here's a tough one and something a bit diiferent. This is from Mt. Rainier.....this was pretty early in the morning and I found the clouds to be just as interesting as the mountin. Too much sky? These are choices we all face as landscapers.....add more sky.....the Mt. gets minimized.....less......mountian looks VG but the sky loses it's impact.
I'll explain what I do when I am faced with these type of conditions in the field.
Only data is E100VS film scanned and EOS 3 camera tripod mounted w/ Graf Studioball head. Probably f22....at the least f16 and also a polariser.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I cropped the left and some off the top to give the mountain and sky a stronger comp. Used tonal contrast on the sky and mountains. Now to learn.

Ian McHenry
09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I really like Roman's original and also like Curly's crop.
Looking at the original it is the "Mare's tails" clouds on the right which are most prominent.
So I decided to crop to retain these.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ramesh Adkoli
09-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Roman, i liked the diagonal lines created by the clouds. It looks as if the clouds rose that high after hitting the mountain! These clouds are the star of the image. hence, a vertical composition preserving the diagonals created by the clouds as much as possible would be best, IMO. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Nick Palmieri
09-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I played with it a bit and think the image is very strong and can be successful in several ways. The vertical crop is very nice and may be my first choice. The sky is very strong and I think 1/3 of sky in a pano crop would preserve the mountains and still show off the cool sky as another option.

Paul Marcellini
09-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Thats a great sky, honestly I like it as is. The square crop is a close second too.

Randy Stout
09-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Roman:

Well, since you asked. I agree that the clouds are a huge part of what makes this image special. Therefore, I favor including as much of them as possible. I like Ians square crop, but would leave a bit more on the left to help balance the 'weight' of the clouds in the upper right. I also like the leading line of the hillside which leads the viewer back towards the middle of the image.

Just my .02. I must have missed the turn at the avian forum, but do like visiting the other forums at times!

Randy

Robert Amoruso
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Roman,

Actually, I want to see more at the bottom. You have a nice arch in the mountain range cut off in the image. To me it frames the mountain well and including enough to get it in would be my preference. The sky needs to stay as it is.

Morkel Erasmus
09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
what a stunning scene! the sky is the strong point for me. I like your OP best Roman.

Ed Cordes
09-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Roman, my eye is looking for more at the bottom. Your original shows the wonderful sky, but just a bit less sky with a bit more on bottom would, to my eye be better.

Julie Kenward
09-06-2009, 05:44 AM
I agree that the clouds should definitely be the prominent part of the scene but the green area at the bottom feels really cut off to me, too. I'd want a small amount more at the bottom and all those gorgeous clouds taking up the rest of the image.

Roman Kurywczak
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi All,
Great thinking all around! The answer is there is no right answer in this case..... I composed this every way imaginable! I find every crop above offers some nice possibilities...and it's nice to be able to crop 1 image so many ways.....but trying all those crops in camera.....even recomposing vertical.....is the best method....which brings me to my work habits when photographing a scene that grabs my eye!

I agree with Robert, Jules and Ed.....I want some more room at the bottom.....so I did point the camera slightly downward to add some more base......too much though and I would introduce a walking path......which then I composed vertically (sorry, haven't scanned it yet)......usning the path as a leading line to the mountain. As for the crops.....Dennis's and Nick's pano's crops work very well......with my preference being Nicks.....just for the wide view and it seems to minimize the narrowness of the base......think about it......if you din't know the clouds were there.....this is an effective presentation.

While I am not a huge fan of square crops like Ian's and Randy's.....both work to focus attention on the mountain and I find Randy's has kept enough of the curve of the slope that it adds to the overall flow....which I like.

Now as Paul can attest.....once I find something that catches my eye......I tend to work that relentlessly.....with as many angles as possible......and I will make my final decision when I get home. Make sure you don't leave that vista.....work it until you are satisfied you have covered every angle that you can think of...instead of moving on to some other possible view(unless you scout it out the day B4).....this will maximize the potential that you nailed the scene.....and can be totally satisfied with what caught your eye in the first place.

Trust your gut and then work the scene! Scout potential views at other times of day..making note of light direction and potential views........so when the moment is right.....you don't have to look for vantage points wasting the woefully short window of opportunity we have to work the scene.