PDA

View Full Version : Floating Maple

Mike Moats
09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I 've been super busy with the art show circuit and haven't been able to get out and shoot much. I had a chance yeasterday to shoot, so headed down to my favorite swamp and found this Maple with some nice colors reflecting in the water.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, Natural Light, F/11 2sec.

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Classic Mike Moats!!!....love the play of dark around the leaf.....reminds me of your swamp oil images!!!.....shows the waters viscosity (hope I spelled that right) very well and plays against the dark nicely. At first I was surprised at f11....then I saw the 2sec. SS and natural light......very brave as even the slightest breeze would have been murder. You know I like them tight...so comp is fine for me! Nice having you post one and show how the simple things can be quite dramatic!

Dave Mills
09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Mike, Simple, yet effective image. Your subject, while mutilated has much character and is interesting to view. The soft reflective color adds alot to the image's strength. I would have liked to have seen just a bit more room top and bottom... Well done!

denise ippolito
09-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike, Great colors and I love your swamp images. The diagonal comp. really adds alot.

Steve Maxson
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Hi Mike. The leaf is nicely done with great detail and I find the colors and patterns in the reflections very interesting. The small fly also adds interest to the image. A minor point - There is a straight line along the top edge just right of center that tends to draw my eye - you might consider removing that.

Anita Bower
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Beautiful colors, composition, lines! You managed sharpness in the leaf and softness in the water.--perfect--you knew just which f stop to use.

Connie Mier
09-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Another really cool abstract shot, I like this a lot.

Julie Kenward
09-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Beautiful work, Mike. Love the tension on the water and the muted colors floating on the surface. I might clone out the bug if it was going to be a large print; otherwise, I like it just as it is.

Ed Cordes
09-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Mike. Like Roman I like the dark edges around the leaf. You certainly lucked out with 2 sec!!

Desmond Chan
09-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Wow, the play of color and reflection works very well here !

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Nice, Looks like the bug is catching a ride on your leaf, love the colors, Great job:)

Greg Basco
09-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Mike, great image. I like it as is. For me, the edges where the leaf meet the water really make this dramatic.

Cheers,
Greg Basco