PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily bud and bloom

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Another from Longwood....figured I'd give Jules a break from the bugs:D! Used my flash to even out the tones.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro and the MT24 twin lights at +2 at f32 for 1/250 sec and ISO 800 Hand Held.....manually focused.

Dave Mills
09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Roman, Beautiful image! Great color,lighting,sharpness,simple but effective comp. Well done!

Mike Fuhr
09-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Wow -- this looks like an illustration. Great colors and tack sharp. Did you do any post processing on it?

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow -- this looks like an illustration. Great colors and tack sharp. Did you do any post processing on it?
No effects Mike.... levels, color adjustment, LCE, and Selective color. I did them in seperate layers. I did remove 2 flash HL on stem.

denise ippolito
09-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Roman, I really like the vertical comp. w/ the inclusion of the bud. Beautiful center glow and the colors are spot-on!Very nicely done.

Nick Palmieri
09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
It's amazing how many ways photographers can see the same subject. Agree with Denise's comments.

Anita Bower
09-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Flash works really well for Water Lilies. Isolates the flower from the BG and makes them glow. Beautiful. I like the inclusion of the bud, with the stems curving different ways.
How did you achieve the darker shades of detail? Was that in post processing?

Connie Mier
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
The bud takes it over the top, such a beautiful comp.

Roman Kurywczak
09-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Flash works really well for Water Lilies. Isolates the flower from the BG and makes them glow. Beautiful. I like the inclusion of the bud, with the stems curving different ways.
How did you achieve the darker shades of detail? Was that in post processing?

Thanks all! Anita, the sun was actually pretty bright....by underexposing the lily and pushing the flash to plus 2..using it as the main light......I was able to bring out the details in the darker area yet maintain the color. I like playing with the flash this way.....to see what different results I can get.

Steve Maxson
09-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Love this one, Roman. The lighting, vertical comp, and the unopened bud make this one special.