PDA

View Full Version : Corpus Christi-Herons/Egretes

Chuck Nakell
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
For the first time in the area, my wife and I (she a pure birder and I a photographer) are heading Sept 15 to Corpus Christi, focused on the more or less the bigger birds: Herons, egrets, Spoonbills, storks, pelicans, cranes (a bit early for that one I'm afraid). Taking a boat charter out of Goose Island, but the rest of the trip will be on land. Beyond the obvious (Suter, Mustang Island, South padre, etc.) can anyone offer any tips given my focus? We'd much appreciate that.

Trey Barron
09-04-2009, 08:40 PM
The area just of the JFK causeway can be great for waders. I was there over spring break and came away with images of white ibis, great, snowy, and reddish egrets, great blue, little blue, and tri-colored herons, and a couple of spoonbills although they were pretty flighty. Both pelicans are there and around the fishing areas are pretty easy. There were a few oystercatchers around and with patience they were approachable.

Aransas birding center can be good for some of the waders as well. It is also a good spot for some of the gulls, terns, and pelicans. It is a morning spot only and has just a small boardwalk but holds a lot of birds.

The jetty in Port Aransas can be great for brown pelicans. They look for handouts from the fishermen and if the wind is right provides for some good flight shots.

Suter is good if the birds are close. It is pretty reliable for skimmers and if the wind is right they will skim very close. It is an evening spot.

South Padre is good for shorebirds but not as many of the waders in very large numbers.

Mustang Island is good for shorebirds as well but again, not as many waders. The ponds near the entrance can have good numbers of night herons.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Chuck Nakell
09-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Just wanted to thank you publicly (beyond my private note) for assisting Susan and I, Trey. Much appreciated.
Chuck

Sidharth Kodikal
09-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I just came across this list of locations around Corpus

http://www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com/locations.html