PDA

View Full Version : Alone on the River

Mike Fuhr
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I've taken a few pictures of these dredges on the Arkansas River before, but never from this vantage point (up on a bridge). I find them interesting parts of the scenery.

I like the amount of water in the foreground, but am curious what others think.

D300
100-300 F4
112mm
F4 (-.67)
1/1250
ISO 200

Roman Kurywczak
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey Mike,
I like the placement of the barge in the ROT position. I don't often like vast expanse of emptiness but find myself somewhat liking this with the tones of blue leading you up to the barge. I have explored a small crop off right and proportionally off the bottom....putting the barge in the ROT bullseye.......but it is close enough to work. My preference may have been to point the camera slightly more left to get the factory plume a bit more in and also a little more above.....but stangely enough I find this appealing as presented and I think the f stop you chose....had a large roll in that as the water has nicely muted and soft tones. You could also next time zoom in to 300 and try a horizontal....looks like that would also work!

Mike Fuhr
09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Mike,
I like the placement of the barge in the ROT position. I don't often like vast expanse of emptiness but find myself somewhat liking this with the tones of blue leading you up to the barge. I have explored a small crop off right and proportionally off the bottom....putting the barge in the ROT bullseye.......but it is close enough to work. My preference may have been to point the camera slightly more left to get the factory plume a bit more in and also a little more above.....but stangely enough I find this appealing as presented and I think the f stop you chose....had a large roll in that as the water has nicely muted and soft tones. You could also next time zoom in to 300 and try a horizontal....looks like that would also work!

Hey Roman -- thanks for the comments. Funny you should mention that - I had the same thoughts while on the bridge -- I took this horizontal also :) Doesn't quite capture the deep blue I like in the vert but I like that you can see the river make the bend around the sand bar...

Ramesh Adkoli
09-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Mike, i agree with you that the second image does quite live upto the perspective created by the OP. I liked the idea. I somehow did not like the inclusion of the factory as it draws my eyes to it, moving quickly from the dredge, which i felt is the prime subject of the image. i wonder whether you tried cutting off the factory completely but keeping the dredge in that vast expanse of water. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Mike Fuhr
09-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Mike, i agree with you that the second image does quite live upto the perspective created by the OP. I liked the idea. I somehow did not like the inclusion of the factory as it draws my eyes to it, moving quickly from the dredge, which i felt is the prime subject of the image. i wonder whether you tried cutting off the factory completely but keeping the dredge in that vast expanse of water. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Ramesh:

I couldn't cut it off because of the angle -- I wasn't high enough. I may watch to see if the dredge moves to the right location for a shot like that. The barge surrounded only by the water might work quite well.

Robert Amoruso
09-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Mike,

I agree with Roman, I like how this turned out. Works well due to the changing shade of blue in the water. Horizontal is not as strong as the vertical.

Ed Cordes
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I like both posts for different reasons. RE the OP the blues are wonderful.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I like the re-post you did. Great job:)