PDA

View Full Version : Ding Darling Update

David Smith
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Went to DD today and it was dead.. Saw a couple of Herons and a few seagulls.. Wasted Trip..:(

Dave

Judd Patterson
09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
This is a tough time of year for bird photography...most birds are done nesting and many are molting this time of year...resulting in some less than ideal plumage. But in the midst of all that, there are many birds migrating through. Lots and lots of swallows and martins have been heading south and now we are getting quite a few gnatcatchers, flycatchers, warblers, and sandpipers!

Thanks for the report.

Larry Frogge
09-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Went to Ding Darling today and it was loaded with birds. The key to DD is to go at low tide. If you go any other time you are wasting your time. We arrived at around 8 o'clock and left with 189 images.
Larry <><

Michael Pancier
09-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Went to Ding Darling today and it was loaded with birds. The key to DD is to go at low tide. If you go any other time you are wasting your time. We arrived at around 8 o'clock and left with 189 images.
Larry <><

any spoons?

Larry Frogge
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes, several spoonie's there and also found several at Tigertail Beach on Marco Island (which also had a lot of other birds) the day before.
Larry <><

Michael Pancier
09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Yes, several spoonie's there and also found several at Tigertail Beach on Marco Island (which also had a lot of other birds) the day before.
Larry <><

are the spoons at Ding in the ponds? or roosting in the trees across from the channel after mm 2 or so (where that boardwalk is?) That's where I used to spot them.

So as far as low tide is concerned, are you saying the time to go is when low tide corresponds with the opening of the park?

Larry Frogge
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I always go in the mornings so yes, when the low tide is no later than around 10 or so. Don't know if that's the best, just that I make a day trip and I get up very early in the mornings and shoot different places on way back to Lk. O. So, I've never been there in the evening. Also, after crossing the big bridge and on the islands, I've found a White Heron at times so keep an eye out for it.
I have been there when the spoons are in the trees so know what you mean. To cover myself, I've been there when they weren't around too!!
Hope this helps.
Larry <><