PDA

View Full Version : Green-crowned brilliant visiting Psychotria

Greg Basco
09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi, I've recently set myself a challenge to produce RAW files needing no post-production work for my multiple-flash hummingbird images, this with an eye toward possible contest entries and also a book project I'm working on that has the same restriction of showcasing full-frame files with little if any post-production. To do so, I'm working with fewer flashes in order to produce only one catchlight, and I'm also looking to produce lighting that is similar to the filtered, often patchy sunlight we get in the rain forests and cloud forests here in Costa Rica. That is, I want the light to generate some shadowing and nice texture on both birds and flowers and I want there to be some little highlights and reflections. I'll be interested in people's comments and suggestions on how I can continue to improve these images.

This is a green-crowned brilliant female (Heliodoxa jacula) pollinating a native Pschotria poeppigiana flower, a common cloud forest shrub from the coffee family, Rubiaceae. I took this image at one of my favorite cloud forest hummingbird spots near where I live.

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/forums/bpnhummer2.jpg

Tech: Canon 5D, Tokina 80-200 mm f2.8 lens, f11, 1/160 second, ISO 250, 4 Canon 430 EX Speedlites (three on bird, one on BG) set to 1/16 on manual power, full-frame, straight jpeg conversion from the RAW file, no cloning or other adjustments/manipulation

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Isak Pretorius
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
This looks just perfect in my opinion! Lovely composition. One small nit might be the battle-scarred leaf and the flash reflection on it, but that's just nit picking!

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
beautiful composition/colors!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I like the wing position, sharpness and eye contact. Some areas such as the body and white of the blossom look a bit overexposed/flashed.

Fernando Cerra
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Just reduce the flash power a little bit, other than that picture is beautiful

Daniel Cadieux
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree the light seems a bit strong. Wondeful composition though...the rear flower really adds a nice touch here. I like the pose and colours. I would have preferred that the large OOF yellowish circle's outline was not as defined - perhaps something you could have physically removed before creating the image?

Raymond Barlow
09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Really fine image all things considered, I wonder if the 5D adds any sharpening to the raw image? My only suggestion would be to use flowers that do not have any white.

Keith Bauer
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Greg: Overall this looks very nice. The greens in the hummer look a bit hot to my eye. I like the composition. The bit of sheen on the leaf in the lower right draws me there. For your goal, you've done a very nice job. You're such a purist:):)

Stu Bowie
09-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Brilliant IQ, and I like the comp. The HB is nicely placed, and the colours look well exposed. Great capture.

Kiran Poonacha
09-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Beautiful image, loved the colours, the setting stands out well.. congrats...

arash_hazeghi
09-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Very beautiful image, has all the elements of perfection. Greens on the bird have been clipped a bit. TFS- a perfect shot

David Fletcher
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
Exquisite shot and good luck with your goal. The flash could do with a tad toning down and the HB greens as mentioned look hot, but either way, delightful to see.

Doug Brown
09-03-2009, 06:13 AM
I really like your minimalist technique with regard to multiple flash...now that's an oxymoron! :D I love the placement of the bird in between the two flowers, and the wing position is fantastic. I would back off a bit on the exposure. Looking forward to working with you in Costa Rica next spring!

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Simply beautiful!

Love this one. That new technique that you applied here seems to work well. Hope to hear your results later.

Greg Basco
09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the feedback. For me, photographing hummingbirds is all about variety in lighting schemes; sometimes we want a nice soft look but others, as was my intent here, we might want a look with brighter sunlight similar to what would filter through the tropical forest canopy.

I'll keep experimenting!

Cheers,
Greg Basco