PDA

View Full Version : Sun!

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Some sun, lots of wind a good day for car window images but nothing was out and about so we headed to the lake where I could annoy the ever present gulls. That meant getting out of the car in the wind and....Well the gulls took off and as I watched them fly into the sunset in comes..the eagle! Right from the direction of the fish hatchery and he/she kept coming right my way. So while not up to what you all can do here is one image, I didn't choke and got the exposure pretty dead on. This is about a 50% crop even tho' the image holds up quite well at 100%. This is the closest I've ever been to and eagle, period, so wanted to share and get your thoughts:D

MIII, 300f2.8L+1.4TC @f5, ISO 400, 1/2500

Barry Goggin
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Exciting isn't it. I remember photographing snow geese and then they all took off at once and I look straight up and there is a bald eagle coming in for the kill. These are the photos that will always be linked with that memory. It makes you want to go and do even better.

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes it is great that they are even in my county. The bulk of the eagles in or state are up by the Great Lakes so seeing one close to home is still a pretty big deal. When the nest actually becomes active there are birders out there with spotting scopes from sun up to sun down.

Richard Stern
02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I think the clouds make the picture, and it would have been a pity to have cropped it too tightly. Very nice impression of soaring.

Richard

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Nonda I like the selected crop and bird placement Having the bird in the blue sky patch is very effective Remember my first one .... it was difficult to press the shutter

With good exposure images hold very well after cropping About the only thing you might want to do is lighten the bird just a bit Big Congrats on your eagle !!!!

Nonda Surratt
02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks folks

I did expect critique on this even being a first credible eagle shot. Alfred will give lightning a go, maybe next time I'll get closer, I can hope anyway.