PDA

View Full Version : International Space Station ISS Across South Africa

Mitchell Krog
09-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Hi All

On sunday evening 30th August 2009, the International Space Station came fleeting across South Africa's night skies. I selected a few possible locations for my shoot a few days prior and then half an hour before it was due to come over I finally settled on this location. At about 6:51pm it started appearing on the horizon to the S-S-W and within 2 minutes had passed right over and was out of sight on the N-E horizon, it sure moves like a speeding train. I was chuffed with the final image, just wish I had a fish eye lens to get even more of it in.

Julian Mole
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Mitchell,

That's a nice image.

Was it a single exposure or is it a composite? Please share the capture details, lens, etc. I like the stillness of the water, it helps complete the photo for me.

You gotta love the ISS, it's quite brilliant (in both senses of the word!). :-)

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey Mitch,
Pretty interesting. I think you composed this well. I like the framing with the tree on the left (but I may crop a bit eliminating the sky behind the trunk) and the grasses on the lower right and just enough base on the water. Are the white lights from passing cars or are they city lights?.....while slightly distracting I don't feel they impact the scene adversely. I like the way the cloud sweeps up also and that you have a bit of nice color in the sky also. Now, here's the tricky part.....while you know it is the ISS.....it could have been anything (I have a few of planes looking like this).....so as a record of the fly over.....this works very well but I do wonder if others will feel the same way if they are just looking at the photo? I still feel this was composed very well and you handled the exposure nicely also.....let's see how others feel about it.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Very cool, the motion of the stars and stillness of the lake gives this image life.

Morkel Erasmus
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Mitch
I love the whole ethereal supernatural feel of this with the play of star-trails, the ISS trail and the sunset clouds. Would love to know your settings. Personally I don't mind the lights on the bottom BG

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Roman had some good points. I would caption it so viewers can appreciate it as the ISS. Good work on previsualizing the image and scouting locations. It is this kind of preparation that makes an image work. Nice going.

Ramesh Adkoli
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Very well conceived and executed, Mitch. I like the mysterious/supernatural feel of the image. Appreciate if you could share the EXIF. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Nice I like the whole feel of this picture, great job:)