PDA

View Full Version : Photographers Gathering,Titusville

Layton E Parham
02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Wanted to share Space Shuttle Picure from Thursdays launch, over 11 miles from Titusville. Layton
700mm,1/2000sec@f8,manual mode ,Iso 400

www.laytonparhamphoto.com (http://www.laytonparhamphoto.com)

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Way to go Layton !!!! Had no idea you could get such a good view Imagine being at the VIP bleachers !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Absolutely an awesome capture Layton. You were sure in the right place at the right time !! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Maxis Gamez
02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Impressive!! Thank you for sharing!

Layton E Parham
02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I just wish I could get to the bleachers. Passes are next to impossible to obtain.This was taken at a restaurant called New York,New York on Riverview Rd ,Titusville. P.S> the Canon 500f4 Plus 1.4 teleconverter and MarkIII works well. These were my first shuttle pics. The next time I will be in a boat ,much closer. Layton

Mike Tracy
02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I like the feeling of it going through the clouds with the orange plume trailing behind. Good job on the exposure.

I was able to secure credentials to photograph this launch back on Dec. 6 when it was originally scrubbed. I thought about going Thursday but the forecast was supposed to be too inclement and stayed home betting on a reschedule. I really think NASA bent the rules to get her off the ground this time. I have been when they were "no go" with less clouds then we had for this one. Thankfully everyone and the shuttle safely made it.

Rod Ostoski
02-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Nice pictures Layton. The image above makes you feel like you're viewing the launch from a plane.

If I were you, I'd get tickets and shoot from the Nasa Causeway which is the next best place.
Yes, they often do sell out in a few minutes. However, if you know when they're going on sale, just order them within the first few minutes. They call these causeway tickets 'Launch Transportation Tickets' (LTT) and /or 'Launch Viewing Transportation'.

Use this site to purchase and obtain times when the tickets will go on sale (and other related info).
http://kennedyspacecenter.stores.yahoo.net/stspshat.html

The tickets are generally offered 6 to 8 weeks before launch.
So if you wanted to purchase tickets for STS-123, they will go on sale Feb 11, 2008 at 9:00 AM.

If you read this message in time, you'd want to be sitting at your computer ordering online or calling 321-449-4400 right at 9:00 AM or within the first few minutes tomorrow morning.

You can also receive automatic E-mail updates if you sign up at
http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/eventSignUp.asp

Looking forward to more pictures...

Rod

Joe Campanellie
02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Really nice photo. That's something I have always wanted to do but never been able to. Never seem to be able to schedule a trip to Florida at just the right time or be in the right place. Did see a night lauch some years ago. That's something you don't forget.

When I was a kid I lived in Florida on the coast. We could climb up on our roof and haver a great view of the lauch sites. At the time my dad was a photographer for RCA. He did all kinds of lauch photos when the missle program was just in it's infancy. Had one heck of a collection of launch photos. The night launches were really impressive phtos.

Of course that was back in the day of big old 4x5 cameras too. Unfortunately, that whole collection of photographs was stolen in one of our moves.

Thanks for the info Rod. Will have to file that away somewhere when I might need it.

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey Layton, talk about perfect timing and image design! This one really rocks. What is the dark speck in the center of the cloud?

later and love and thanks for sharing, artie

Nonda Surratt
02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow!!!! That is some image!

Layton E Parham
02-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Artie, It is hard to make a good picture without a bird in it.You taught me well. I will crop to try and determine species. Also captured an Eagle carrying a gull just before launch. I posted 13 launch pics to my web site.
Layton
www.laytonparhamphoto.com (http://www.laytonparhamphoto.com)

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Again Layton, What was the focal length and EXP COMP for this image?

thanks and later and love, artie

Layton E Parham
02-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Artie, the settings were,700mm,1/2000sec@f8,manual mode ,Iso 400 ,not cropped.
Layton

Keith Kennedy
02-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Layton,

Very dramatic photograph. And to think that I was on a treadmill at the gym watching it on CNN when I could have been in Florida with you getting images like this! Now I know who to call! Great job.

Keith