PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo in sandstorm

Charles Glatzer
09-01-2009, 10:20 AM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Falklands '09

I strive to create images that are visually dynamic, compelling and narrative. Typically, this means trying to document an animal’s behavior, and it can often prove an arduous task. The wind in the Falkland Is. can come up suddenly, as it did here, gusting at times to 50 mph. Both the gentoo penguins and I dropped to our bellies taking on the full force of the short-lived storm. This image was taken shortly after the winds subsided, the penguin checking to make sure his mate faired well. Photographing in inclement weather has always appealed to me, showing a side of nature few ever get to witness.

The Falklands is like no other place on earth. I wish I could spend a few months their instead of a few weeks.

1Ds Mark III, 300mm
Manual, incident, 1/640 @ f/7.1, ISO 400
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas

Axel Hildebrandt
09-01-2009, 10:23 AM
The interaction and mood make this one for me. First I thought it was a snowstorm.

Keith Bauer
09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I too originally thought this was a snowstorm. Interesting story. the penguin that is down creates a compelling story in this image. Thx for sharing

Grace Scalzo
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, you succeeded in meeting your goals with this great image. Very unique and the interaction is sweet. Love how the sand is pushed up against the one bird, ties this all together and completes the story.

Glenda Simmons
09-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Another of your great behavior images. Just wondering if you have ever tried "storm chasing"? That should suffice your inclement weather itch!

LouBuonomo
09-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Great moment captured here, very intimate.
Lou

DustinFinn
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Incredible moment, love the snow drift on and up-against the laying down Gentoo....

Phil Ertel
09-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Chas, Lets see you stated that your goals was to creative images that are dynamic, compelling and narrative. Dynamic: Check Compelling: Check Narrative Check. In my opinion you accomplished all three goals and created a very stunning image. Congratulations!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Incredible image, it tells a lot of story here. Great behavior captured, love how one penquin checking the other one out, show a great caring after a harsh weather.

Gal Shon
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Superb behavior shot, the interaction between the two and the hint of the harsh weather
Makes this one stand out, Well photographed.