PDA

View Full Version : Old World House Sparrow

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi,
Photographed this high energy Sparrow in our yard yesterday at 10:10 Am. Have a lot of Sparrows, however they flit around a little too fast for this Old Codger. I have to anticipate where they will be and have camera ready at that spot for that instant they will appear. Got lucky. . . . . Gus

Olympus E-510 IS

Aperture priority
F 7.1 1/640s
ISO 100
-0.70 EV
600 MM
Auto WB

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I think the original needs lightening?? . . . Gus

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Gus anytime you lighten an image you might be getting in trouble That is why we emphasize having a perfect histogram or at least having data in the fifth box Would love to work on the original or at least a jpeg without any work

Something is going on with the post processing The basic image is well composed good head angle and bg The sharpest part of the image seems to be at the nails Post the jpg and will give it a try !!! Should get lots of opportunities with these guys .... they work for food !!!!

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Al, All I did was, crop, resize, size for web . . . the original looks better? . . Gus

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Al, This is from the complete 7 MB original . . . Gus

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Gus the original looks nice as is as far as the bird and the BG (BG looks cleaner too) in the first post it looks harsher and noise?

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Gus the last looks best of all Previous did suffer from processing

Thanks for the histogram It does seem odd to have the blown pixels but they are there Did a little work with shadow highlight My normal settings are 12 12 24 For this image increase the tonal range while leaving the other settings (to 50%) Selected the face area and increase the middle slider in levels Not much Inversed the selection and lighten using the lighten in hugh/saturation

This is a good image to illustrate how fast you can get into trouble with post processing Most are a lot more forgiving

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Al, Thank you very much, for lesson 1. "Be careful about over processing". Lesson 2. "How to make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear" when you know what you are doing. I appreciate your patience and listing the steps you took to come up with the finished photo ~ I like it! . . . Gus
BTW: Is one allowed to post digitally produced oil paintings, water color, etc of birds?

Gus Hallgren
02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Al, This may explain the blown pixels, white adobe house, and light colored bark on the tree in this thumbnail of complete file? . . . Gus