PDA

View Full Version : Hanging by a Thread

Christopher Miller
08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
I found these droplets hanging on a strand of a spider's web a couple days ago. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f4.5 @ 1/160, ISO 100
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, sunny WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, and noise reduction

Lance Peters
08-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Chris - well spotted - I would go much tighter here and really place the emphasis on those drops.
This might be a little centred - added some sharpening also.

Like it a lot - good show

Kerry Perkins
08-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Chris, this is really cool and what a great job the lens on that camera does! What focal length did you have it set on? I'm assuming that you were up close and I know that this camera can get real up close and personal.

I really like the color and the reflections in the drops. I'm imagining how cool Lance's crop would be if it were laminated into a bookmark. Nice one!

Gus Cobos
08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Chris,
I like the concept,. I like Mr. Peters' repost isolating the drops in a vertical channel...might also selective sharpen the droplets and lighten them a tad...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Bob Miller
08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
HI Chris.....Good Eye! You might try some NR on the bg. Love the vertical repost !

Christopher Miller
09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone, I like the crop suggestion!

Kerry, on my camera taking extreme closeups requires switching to super macro mode in which the focal length is fixed at the equivalent of about 58.5 mm. For this picture, I was at the minimum focusing distance which is 1 cm.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Cool, Like how you can still see the ones in the BG. Like the crop Lance did. Great job:)

Alfred Forns
09-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Lovely Chris and the pano crop sure helps !!! I have been looking for these type images and they are not easy to come by ... you got a great eye for composition !!!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-01-2009, 08:33 AM
As mentioned, very great find, I really the reflection in the droplets, make it looks like a marble within a droplets. The crop put this even better.

Bill Dix
09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Great capture. The color is terrific, and I love the hint of other drops in the BG.