View Full Version : Black Necked Stilt

Bob Miller
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Nikon D-300
200-400 with 1.4TC / 550mm
1/250 sec at f6.3
ISO800
cropped, adjusted contrast

While at Bombay Hook Wildlife Refuge in DE I saw this Stilt. Any thoughts on composition? other comments welcome!

Christopher Miller
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Bob. Very nice pose and reflection. Compositionally, I would suggest cropping off the green area on top. There's also some blue fringing on the bird that I would try to remove. Biggest issue is all the sticks in the water which distract from the bird. Might want to try cloning out the ones that intersect the bird.

Lance Peters
08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Bob - I too see some blue fringing on the bird - Couple of possabilities here would have been shooting from a lower angle or waiting until the stilt got to one of the clearer patches of water.
Your blacks are close to being blocked (no detail) - soft light is the key with black and white birds.
No exposure compenstaion mentioned - you could have exposed the bird properly and the water would have blown out leaving you with a intresting image.

I love stilts but to get a good shot IMHO you need to be able to see that gorgeous red eye.

Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi Bob,
I like the capture...I totally agree with Mr. Peters on the techs. Just keep them coming...:cool:

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Great find, but like everyone else said there are some thing going on with the pics and i have to agree. :)

Alfred Forns
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi Bob In this case might have followed the bird and try capturing without twig merges with the body, the mentioned lower angle would have helped but probably not possible in this case

.... another strategy is setting up for a flight show !!!! .... sometimes you can luck out if your ready !!

Bob Miller
09-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Everyone....I have some work to do on this one!