PDA

View Full Version : Small Falls In Taughannock Falls State Park, NY

Ed Cordes
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
In keeping with my latest kick of photographing local waterfalls I offer this one. Gail and I were hiking to the larger and more famous Taughannock Falls and were intrigued by this smaller falls along the way. We like the way the water flows from so many different directions.

1DMK2 with 17-40 @40. Evaluative metering at ISO 100 with EV -1/3 f 16 and 1/10. I used f 16 to get the longer SS. While it was cloudy it was still bright out around 4 PM. Cropped to pano with some extra removed from both sides, which I think gives more impact.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome and appreciated.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
I really like how the water is flowing also, nice find, but there is something about this picture that is bothering me IMO, not sure what yet. Great job:)

Ramesh Adkoli
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Ed, the whites created by flowing water is what makes this image. Very nicely exposed. I feel, the image needs a bit CW rotation. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Ed,
I'm with Kyle Marie on this one....somthing just not quite right........It may be that the water flow is all massed in the middle or that the base and top are too equal.....I would opt for less of the pool and add some more back to the greenery in the top if it doesn't introduce too many distractions......I think the biggest isssue here is the lack of definition in the water......f22 and even slower SS may have helped.......but I do wonder if this is one of those cases that you got caught with a SS is in between an aesthetically nice one.....either faster and freezing the motion......or much longer and allowing more silkiness.....might just be too centered and big of a flow too.....always a fine line. Did you happen to bracket speeds???......I always recommend this approach when photographing waterfalls.......takes the flow rate out of the equation when composing.

Ed Cordes
09-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all your input. No, I did not bracket, but my wife has some decent images. I'll ask her to post. I can try less FG pool as well.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Great waterfalls but I do like slower shutter to get that silky water or a ND filter. Exposure looks good

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Ed,

All said above. Agree that a bit less FG may be the way to go.